The Ultimate Explanation for EACism!! - Page 3 - Home Brew Forums

Register Now!
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Drunken Ramblings and Mindless Mumbling > The Ultimate Explanation for EACism!!

Old 06-22-2007, 08:18 PM   #21
Orfy
For the love of beer!
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Sep 2005
Cheshire, England
Liked 94 Times on 62 Posts

If it gets to the point where you have nothing to learn then it's time to give up.
If it gets to the point where you don't want to learn then it's time to find something else that's worth learning.
If it gets to the point where you know it all then it's not worth Knowing.

Old 06-22-2007, 08:42 PM   #22
Desert_Sky

Recipes 

Mar 2006
Sierra Vista, AZ
Liked 53 Times on 41 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by orfy
If it gets to the point where you have nothing to learn then it's time to give up.
If it gets to the point where you don't want to learn then it's time to find something else that's worth learning.
If it gets to the point where you know it all then it's not worth Knowing.

I disagree.......

If you get to the point when you actually do know it all, then it's time to raise the bar even further for everyone else

Old 06-22-2007, 09:12 PM   #23
BierMuncher
...My Junk is Ugly...
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Jan 2007
St. Louis, MO
Liked 789 Times on 435 Posts

Kinda similar to the phenomenon that the least funny people...think they're friggin hilarious.

Old 06-22-2007, 09:16 PM   #24
Brewing Clamper

Recipes 

Apr 2006
Union City, CA
Liked 19 Times on 17 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BierMuncher
Kinda similar to the phenomenon that the least funny people...think they're friggin hilarious.
Or when fat chicks think they're hot...

4 Ohms Aleworks & Lagers | Twitter | Facebook | Blog |

Old 06-22-2007, 09:38 PM   #25
Barley-Davidson

Recipes 

Mar 2007
Landing, NJ
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Ho Lee Crap, Omar, isn't that the worst?!?! LMFAO

Old 06-23-2007, 01:17 PM   #26
Sir Humpsalot

Recipes 

Nov 2006
Liked 87 Times on 69 Posts

I believe it was Mark Twain who said, "People who think they know everything are very annoying to those of us who actually do."

As it pertains to EACness, I think I have a realistic assessment of my knowledge. Back when I used to play a lot of chess, I knew just about every chess opening out to 20 or 30 moves- Queen's gambit, Benko, Benoni, Ruy Lopez, English, etc etc... I also knew a ton of end games and was a pretty good player. Now, on the one hand, I definitely was acutely aware of how LITTLE I knew... I didn't have my master rating and was really nowhere close to competing with those guys. On the other hand, if someone wanted to argue about how the horsey moved, well, I was certainly credentialled enough to call them an idiot if they disagreed with me.

So too is the case with EACness. Though there are few people here with the in-depth knowledge that a true expert would have, we nevertheless are more than qualified to say that something made with bread yeast and 5 pounds of table sugar is going to taste like a$$....

This is also reminiscent of the whole, "everyone is special, everybody is good at everything" mentality that kids are raised with. My uncle enrolled his kid in Teeball. Every kid bats every inning. There are no outs. If thrown out at first, you stay on first. Then, every kid runs the bases after the last kid bats.

Where the hell is the sense of accomplishment in that? Where the hell are the realistic expectations? The times I felt the most empowered, the most intelligent, the most capable, were the times when I did something difficult. To make matters worse, it seems to me that the longer you keep feeding kids unrealistic expectations, the more likely they are to snap when they meet the real world.

Old 06-23-2007, 03:11 PM   #27
McCall St. Brewer
Recipes 

Sep 2005
West Monroe, Louisiana
Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdwj
I couldn't disagree more. Seems to me that most people around here think they have a TON to learn.
No. I've only been brewing for a couple of years, but I know much more than most people know about it.

Old 06-23-2007, 03:19 PM   #28
Sir Humpsalot

Recipes 

Nov 2006
Liked 87 Times on 69 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdwj
Seems to me that most people around here think they have a TON to learn.
Quote:
Originally Posted by McCall St. Brewer
No. I've only been brewing for a couple of years, but I know much more than most people know about it.
Those two statements aren't mutually exclusive. But it could explain the underpinnings of what it means to be an EAC. You at least have an appreciation for the things that you don't know... and perhaps a certain confidence/arrogance regarding that which you do know... or some impatience with regard to people who question the simplest of things...