The Ultimate Explanation for EACism!! - Page 2 - Home Brew Forums

Register Now!
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Drunken Ramblings and Mindless Mumbling > The Ultimate Explanation for EACism!!

Old 06-22-2007, 05:46 AM   #11
pfranco81
Recipes 

Apr 2007
Long Island, NY

yeah, but I actually do know everything.
Nothing.
Drinking : Apfelwein, and a Honey Wheat.

Medic: Young man, you've ingested a dangerous amount of alcohol!
Homer: The only dangerous amount is none!

Old 06-22-2007, 12:41 PM   #12
98EXL

Recipes 

Mar 2007
Maryland
Liked 14 Times on 14 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryanh1801
very true.

+2

it's fun but annoying all at the same time. Always opens another can of worms for me

Old 06-22-2007, 02:10 PM   #13
KopyKat

Recipes 

Dec 2005
Round Rock Texas
Liked 4 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
They set out to test these hypotheses on human subjects consisting of Cornell undergraduates who were registered in various psychology courses.
Ah, ha! Did any of you notice the flaw in this study. They assumed that college undergraduates were human and that students who took psycology courses were proper subjects for the study.

I might also point out that the age group of this study would be likely very young and therefore lack the experience to have shed off all of the teenager "know it all" that every parent that has raised children knows a bit about.

Primary: Belgian Blonde (for cask)
Drinking: Robust Porter
Up Next: Christmas Ale, SNPA, Simcoe IPA

AustinZealots.com
Home of the Austin Zealot's Inquisition

Old 06-22-2007, 02:18 PM   #14
Desert_Sky

Recipes 

Mar 2006
Sierra Vista, AZ
Liked 53 Times on 41 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by KopyKat
and therefore lack the experience to have shed off all of the teenager know it all that every parent that has raised children knows a bit about.
well that pretty much sums up EACs right there

Old 06-22-2007, 02:19 PM   #15
Anti_EAC
Recipes 

Jun 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimone
well that pretty much sums up EACs right there
damn straight

Old 06-22-2007, 02:23 PM   #16
Flyin' Lion

Recipes 

Jan 2005
Chester, VA
Liked 17 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdwj
I couldn't disagree more. Seems to me that most people around here think they have a TON to learn.

+1. I agree, that sounds like the complete opposite of EAC (as it is understood on these boards).

Old 06-22-2007, 05:40 PM   #17
jpuf

Recipes 

Oct 2005
Milwaukee, WI

I dont know Sh_t and I can prove it!

Old 06-22-2007, 05:57 PM   #18
the_bird
10th-Level Beer Nerd
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

May 2006
Adams, MA
Liked 523 Times on 420 Posts

I think much more interesting is "The Andy Scale" letter from Cartalk.

http://cartalk.com/content/features/hell/Bestof/Andy/

Quote:
Andy R.
Marlboro, VT 05344

Dear Click and Clack,

I am writing to offer profound thanks to you for resolving an important philosophical question that has been heatedly debated for the last twenty years. The rumination began on a construction site one summer in the early 1970's, as my friend Jamie and I were working our way through college. The question we raised and have agonized over, lo these many years, is one that I've never read about in any philosophical treatise, and yet I have found it has applied to countless situations and conversations overheard in bars, repair shops, sporting events, political debates, etc. etc. etc.

Posit the question: Do two people who don't know what they are talking about know more or less than one person who doesn't know what he's talking about? (Pardon the un-PC masculine pronoun, but I have found this to be, most predominately, a male phenomenon.)

In your recent conversations regarding electric brakes on a cattle carrier, I believe you definitely answered this query and have put our debate to rest. Amazingly enough, you proved that even in a case where one person might know nothing about a subject, it is possible for two people to know even less!

One person will only go so far out on a limb in his construction of deeply hypothetical structures, and will often end with a shrug or a raising of hands to indicate the dismissability of his particular take on a subject. With two people, the intricacies, the gives and takes, the wherefores and why-nots, can become a veritable pas-de-deux of breathtaking speculation, interwoven in such a way that apologies or gestures of doubt are rendered unnecessary.

I had always suspected this was the case, but no argument I could have built from my years of observation would have so satisfyingly closed the door on the subject as your performance on the cattle carrier call. To begin your comments by saying, "We'll answer your question if you tell us how electric brakes work" and "We've never heard of electric brakes" and then indulge in lengthy theoretical hypostulations on the whys and wherefores of the caller's problem allowed me to observe that you were finally putting this gnarly question to rest.

I am forever indebted to you for the great service you have performed! I'm truly impressed that it took so many years of listening to your show to finally have this matter resolved.

Sincerely,
Andy R.

"I'm kind of toasted. But I looked at my watch and it's only 6:30 so I can't stop drinking yet." - Yooper's Bob
"Brown eye finally recovered after the abuse it endured in Ptown last weekend, but it took almost a full week." - Paulie
"no, he just doesn't speak 'stupid'. i, however, am fluent...." - motobrewer
"... I'll go both ways." - Melana

Old 06-22-2007, 05:59 PM   #19
homebrewer_99

Recipes 

Feb 2005
Atkinson (near the Quad Cities), IL
Liked 132 Times on 99 Posts

Hmmm, let's see...

Dunning-Kruger effect

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The Dunning-Kruger effect is the phenomenon whereby people who have little knowledge systematically think that they know more than others who have much more knowledge.

The phenomenon was demonstrated in a series of experiments performed by Justin Kruger and David Dunning, then both of Cornell University. Their results were published in the Journal of Personality and Social Psychology in December 1999.[1]
  1. incompetent individuals tend to overestimate their own level of skill,
  2. incompetent individuals fail to recognize genuine skill in others,
  3. incompetent individuals fail to recognize the extremity of their inadequacy,
  4. if they can be trained to substantially improve their own skill level, these individuals can recognize and acknowledge their own previous lack of skill.

See also

References
  1. homebrewtalk.com

Old 06-22-2007, 06:06 PM   #20
DeathBrewer
Maniacally Malty
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Apr 2007
Oakland, CA
Liked 261 Times on 134 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by david_42
I've seen similar studies showing the average criminal has very high self-esteem and considers himself to be much smarter than most people. Getting caught is always because of bad luck or someone else making a mistake.
that's called inferiority complex. it's all show.

"Death is always with us." - Brewpastor

Quote:
DIAICYLF
We will remember...