Coldbreak Brewing HERMS Giveaway!

HomeBrewSupply AMCYL Brew Kettle Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > NOW we're crushing...90% efficiency!

Old 06-21-2007, 09:53 PM   #1
FlyingHorse
Formerly Bike N Brew
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts

Default NOW we're crushing...90% efficiency!

So I finally figured out the adjustment on my CrankandStein mill...no, not "I figured out where to set it" (well, that too), but "I figured out HOW to set it".

Yes, despite the elegant simplicity of the mill and some reasonably (though not crystal) clear written instructions, I wasn't adjusting it properly since I got it 3-4 batches ago. Thus, my last batch was 62% efficiency.

The brain cramp cleared, and I figured out the adjustment. Lacking a feeler gauge, I used this method: crank it down until my old Sears Crafstman corded drill can't move the grain thrugh the rollers (and smokes in protest). Then, back off a half a dog's hair from there. The crush was scary fine, but I was determined to push the limits.

The sparge was flawless, and I got 90% efficiency.

Now to get a more powerful drill...

(sorry, no pics...I took one with my phone, but it's unviewably blurry)

Old 06-21-2007, 10:43 PM   #2
david_42
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 141 Times on 134 Posts

If you have numbered drill bits, they are useful in place of feeler gauges.

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk