So I finally figured out the adjustment on my CrankandStein mill...no, not "I figured out where to set it" (well, that too), but "I figured out HOW to set it".
Yes, despite the elegant simplicity of the mill and some reasonably (though not crystal) clear written instructions, I wasn't adjusting it properly since I got it 3-4 batches ago. Thus, my last batch was 62% efficiency.
The brain cramp cleared, and I figured out the adjustment. Lacking a feeler gauge, I used this method: crank it down until my old Sears Crafstman corded drill can't move the grain thrugh the rollers (and smokes in protest). Then, back off a half a dog's hair from there. The crush was scary fine, but I was determined to push the limits.
The sparge was flawless, and I got 90% efficiency.
Now to get a more powerful drill...
(sorry, no pics...I took one with my phone, but it's unviewably blurry)