How to build brew stand - Home Brew Forums
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Brew Stands > How to build brew stand

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 04-22-2012, 10:21 PM   #1
jamorgan3777
Recipes 
 
Sep 2011
Appleton, WI
Posts: 86
Liked 3 Times on 1 Posts



I cant weld. What is the best way/material to use to make a sturdy brew stand that would be no-weld. I was thinking unistrut or something like that. I would like to avoid wood if possible.

Thanks.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 10:46 PM   #2
popompd
Recipes 
 
Apr 2012
Franklin, WI
Posts: 14

Hello, I was in the same boat as you. Check out my stand, it's not done yet but it's coming along. It's a erector set type, no welding. I modeled it under the wallis type stand. hope this helps I will update my stand as it is being built.
Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20120415_073327.jpg
Views:	4468
Size:	23.0 KB
ID:	58414  

 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 10:57 PM   #3
I-Hop
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
 
I-Hop's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Dec 2008
Lynnfield, MA
Posts: 225

I'm using slotted angle iron. Very easy to cut and can be bolted together. If you do a search on HomeBrewTalk for weldless brewrig, you should find a thread with some pics of one. That is where I got the idea. Super easy and cheap.
__________________
Once it hits your lips, it's so good! -Frank the Tank

 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 12:22 AM   #4
Dougie63
Recipes 
 
Jul 2011
St Petersburg, FL
Posts: 277
Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts


I am building mine out of old bed frames get a colbalt drill bit and 1/4 inch x 1/2 bolts and lock nuts, its really pretty strong and later if I decide to make mods to it I just unbolt. I have 3 kegs and getting a couple pumps heres mine so far
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0473.jpg
Views:	3635
Size:	87.2 KB
ID:	58435  

 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 02:31 AM   #5
sarsnik
Recipes 
 
Oct 2010
Pennsylvania
Posts: 243
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts


I bolted mine together too:


 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 04:18 PM   #6
SaevaVeritas
Recipes 
 
Jul 2011
Philadelphia, PA
Posts: 190
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by Dougie63 View Post
I am building mine out of old bed frames get a colbalt drill bit and 1/4 inch x 1/2 bolts and lock nuts, its really pretty strong and later if I decide to make mods to it I just unbolt. I have 3 kegs and getting a couple pumps heres mine so far
Did you just cut the frame with an angle grinder? I just bought my first angle grinder. Any tips for safely cutting the frame?

 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 08:25 PM   #7
drewmedic23
Recipes 
 
Aug 2012
Jackson, NJ
Posts: 252
Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts


Angle grinders are for grinding, not cutting. With that out of the way, Ive used mine to cut. Just make sure you are wearing eye protection! Practice cutting on some spare scrap so you get the idea of how to use it. Also, when you are doing this, you will creat a TON of heat so dont go touching the metal for a few mins after

 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 08:28 PM   #8
Huaco
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
 
Huaco's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Dec 2011
Just south of Cow Town, Tx
Posts: 1,380
Liked 141 Times on 88 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by drewmedic23 View Post
Angle grinders are for grinding, not cutting. With that out of the way, Ive used mine to cut. Just make sure you are wearing eye protection! Practice cutting on some spare scrap so you get the idea of how to use it. Also, when you are doing this, you will creat a TON of heat so dont go touching the metal for a few mins after
Then why do they manufacture and sell abrasive wheels specifically labeled and sized as cut-off wheels for angle grinders?

I work at a metal fab company and we use angle grinders to cut/trim ALL THE TIME!

 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 08:35 PM   #9
Gridlocked
Recipes 
 
Feb 2010
MN
Posts: 793
Liked 23 Times on 22 Posts


My angle grinder is my tool of choice for most of my (small) metal fab jobs. Hearing and eye protection and a pair of gloves and you'll be just fine. Cut off wheels are for cutting - grinding wheels are for grinding. Just make sure to un-plug the thing when you change wheels. I'd done this with the thing plugged in about 300 times until I just about took the tip of my finger off this past summer.
__________________
Sweetcel: "try this, it was dry-hopped with a lot of climax."

 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 08:53 PM   #10
drewmedic23
Recipes 
 
Aug 2012
Jackson, NJ
Posts: 252
Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by Huaco View Post
Then why do they manufacture and sell abrasive wheels specifically labeled and sized as cut-off wheels for angle grinders?

I work at a metal fab company and we use angle grinders to cut/trim ALL THE TIME!
I guess the wheel I have is only for grinding then because it says all over it, for grinding only.
Thanks for putting me in my place.

 
Reply With Quote


Reply
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Brew Stand Build mkirkland Brew Stands 19 10-25-2011 06:38 PM
Brew Stand Build Help HokieHomeBrew Brew Stands 7 06-18-2011 11:31 PM
Brew Stand build (Mini Brew Stand) Espi Brew Stands 20 05-07-2011 01:06 AM
Brew Stand Build Ohio-Ed Brew Stands 31 03-29-2011 10:18 PM
Brew stand build! bcray Brew Stands 8 11-20-2010 03:14 PM


Forum Jump