Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Mead Forum > Mead n00b
Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 04-22-2012, 03:35 AM   #1
JustKay
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 7
Default Mead n00b

How do you make mead? What defines something as a mead?


JustKay is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 04:01 AM   #2
ACbrewer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Fredericksburg, VA
Posts: 1,615
Liked 105 Times on 95 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default

Mead is honey wine, so basically honey is the main fermentable. www.gotmead.com is a good spot to look at for reciepes.

A basic one is about 2.5 lb of honey mixed with enough water to make 1 gallon of liquid, a few raisons and some yeast. Give it several month to ferment and age


ACbrewer is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 04:11 AM   #3
TheBrewingMedic
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
TheBrewingMedic's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Stanfordville, NY
Posts: 650
Liked 27 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Default

The most simplistic answer is it's a wine using honey as the fermentable sugars instead of grapes or other fruit.

You can make a gallon of show type mead by putting 3 pounds of honey in a gallon jug, fill with water, shake the crap out of it to mix and aerate then add a pack of dry wine yeast, shake to mix, attach some sort of air lock and wait...it could be good, it will take a long time and could stress the yeast but you'll end up with mead.

Check out the stickys here, look at other first time threads or go to gotmead.com and look for the newb guide to see how some real simple things like hydrating the yeast and adding some nutrients changes it from just making mead to making decent, even good mead, also search JAOM, the grocery store ingredient mead, damn near fool proof
__________________
Watch and Listen to your Mead....It will tell you when the next step is.
TheBrewingMedic is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 04:31 AM   #4
regulatedhobbyist
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Loveland, Colorado
Posts: 136
Likes Given: 1

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBrewingMedic View Post
The most simplistic answer is it's a wine using honey as the fermentable sugars instead of grapes or other fruit.

You can make a gallon of show type mead by putting 3 pounds of honey in a gallon jug, fill with water, shake the crap out of it to mix and aerate then add a pack of dry wine yeast, shake to mix, attach some sort of air lock and wait...it could be good, it will take a long time and could stress the yeast but you'll end up with mead.

Check out the stickys here, look at other first time threads or go to gotmead.com and look for the newb guide to see how some real simple things like hydrating the yeast and adding some nutrients changes it from just making mead to making decent, even good mead, also search JAOM, the grocery store ingredient mead, damn near fool proof
+1

Ounce you get into doing it, You'll be so excited to sample what all your imagination can create. I have thought of so many different types of mead in the last six months that I don't even know where to begin. While I have had some difficulties, these guys and gals on here are really awesome.
regulatedhobbyist is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 06:32 AM   #5
moscoeb
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Richmond, KY
Posts: 422
Liked 60 Times on 43 Posts

Default

Could I use a one gal growler as my fermenter for a one gal recipe for mead? Just get a bung and air lock to fit?
I have a few sitting downstairs not being used. Hmmmm...
moscoeb is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 07:24 AM   #6
ExoticMeadMaker
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Plano, TX
Posts: 131
Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by moscoeb View Post
Could I use a one gal growler as my fermenter for a one gal recipe for mead? Just get a bung and air lock to fit?
I have a few sitting downstairs not being used. Hmmmm...
yes and no..... is it possible yes, is it recommended no...as a general rule, your primary fermentor should be 2x the batch size to prevent must from bubbling up into your airlock/blow off tube. growler as a secondary and for bulk aging would be ok though
__________________
does anyone else find themselves sitting, starring at their mead in process?
ExoticMeadMaker is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 10:18 AM   #7
moscoeb
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Richmond, KY
Posts: 422
Liked 60 Times on 43 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExoticMeadMaker
yes and no..... is it possible yes, is it recommended no...as a general rule, your primary fermentor should be 2x the batch size to prevent must from bubbling up into your airlock/blow off tube. growler as a secondary and for bulk aging would be ok though
Gotcha, thanks. I've been pondering trying the mead and wine making too. However this is all new to me, I've only done one batch of beer. I may have to try a batch of mead sometime though.
moscoeb is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 11:20 AM   #8
fatbloke
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: UK - South Coast.
Posts: 2,695
Liked 182 Times on 167 Posts
Likes Given: 30

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExoticMeadMaker View Post
yes and no..... is it possible yes, is it recommended no...as a general rule, your primary fermentor should be 2x the batch size to prevent must from bubbling up into your airlock/blow off tube. growler as a secondary and for bulk aging would be ok though
That's right and wrong at the same time......

The justification for using a larger container i.e. 1 gallon batch in a 2 gallon bucket, is to do with having a greater surface area, so if you do use ingredients where it's possible that you'll get either a lot of foaming, or a possible eruption when stirring/aerating, then you are entirely correct.

But, at the same time, a lot of us will still use a 1 gallon glass jug with no problems/ill effects etc. You just have to be more conscientious with your method, and of course, if you make exactly a gallon at start, after racking for best result, you have to work out how you're gonna top up to remove any airspace caused by racking losses.

Lots of people will make a batch of JAO in a glass jug, but only filling it about 3/4's of the way up once the fruit, honey and spices etc are in it, then after maybe a week, once the ferment has settled down, fill it up to just below the bung (inch or so) and let it finish.

It's much more aesthetically pleasing to see a nice glass jug bubbling away in the kitchen, than the more practical bucket........

And here's a link to the gotmead JAO thread. Oskaar posted the recipe on the second post, first page - and while it's a mammoth thread to read, it does answer most of the questions that a new mead maker might have about it......
__________________
"What the large print giveth, the small print taketh away". Tom Waits.

Oh, and here's some blog stuff!
fatbloke is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 11:26 AM   #9
TheBrewingMedic
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
TheBrewingMedic's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Stanfordville, NY
Posts: 650
Liked 27 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExoticMeadMaker View Post
...as a general rule, your primary fermentor should be 2x the batch size to prevent must from bubbling up into your airlock/blow off tube
Interesting, I hadn't heard this one before. for traditionals I've never left a ton of headspace and never had a plugged airlock. Rumbling, bubbling, almost looked like water boiling ones but never gunked up ones.

For melomels I leave a few extra inches as we know that as soon as fruit is added to a primary it becomes a rolling gurgling monster during initial phases of fermentation, good time to use a blow off tube over an airlock.
TheBrewingMedic is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 10:27 PM   #10
opus345
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
opus345's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Omaha, Nebraska
Posts: 679
Liked 171 Times on 128 Posts
Likes Given: 158

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by moscoeb View Post
Gotcha, thanks. I've been pondering trying the mead and wine making too. However this is all new to me, I've only done one batch of beer. I may have to try a batch of mead sometime though.
stormthecastle.com has a good section on making mead and some decent tutorial video's


opus345 is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools



Forum Jump

Newest Threads

LATEST SPONSOR DEALS