Scratches on wort chiller - Page 2 - Home Brew Forums

Register Now!
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Scratches on wort chiller

Old 04-29-2012, 05:21 PM   #11
milldoggy
Recipes 

Mar 2008
Pottstown, Pa
Liked 133 Times on 100 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bja

Look elsewhere, it's not from your aluminum pot.
If you think it is your pot, fill it with vinegar(like 1 part to 4waters I think) and let it sit. Or boil it with just water. This will create an oxide layer and you can rule the pot out. When cleaning, do not use an aggresive scratchy. That can remove the layer.

Back on topic. Just add to the end of the boil. Nothing to worry about. I like to soak mine in star an first. Makes it nice and shiney, and I like shiney things.

My hop stopper

Old 04-29-2012, 07:06 PM   #12
bja
Recipes 

Nov 2007
Pittsburgh
Liked 167 Times on 125 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by milldoggy View Post
If you think it is your pot, fill it with vinegar(like 1 part to 4waters I think) and let it sit. Or boil it with just water. This will create an oxide layer and you can rule the pot out.
If he's already used the pot, then it already has the oxide layer.

I know it just wouldn't be right to kill all the stupid people that we meet, but do you think it would be appropriate to just remove all of the warning labels and let nature take its course?

Old 04-30-2012, 12:44 PM   #13
zachattack
Recipes 

Mar 2012
, MA
Liked 299 Times on 252 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby_M View Post
Why did you use a pipe bending tool to coil the copper? Since you said it was $30, I assume you coiled something like 25 feet of 3/8" OD? You can bend that around a cylindrical form by hand with no tools. I know, it's off topic but I'm just curious. No worries about scratches.. Heat sanitized every time...
I think OP was referring to one of the springy-looking "kink preventing" sets for soft tubing? Though those shouldn't scratch it...

Old 04-30-2012, 03:25 PM   #14
chiteface
Recipes 

Apr 2011
Saugatuck, MI
Liked 12 Times on 11 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by milldoggy

If you think it is your pot, fill it with vinegar(like 1 part to 4waters I think) and let it sit. Or boil it with just water. This will create an oxide layer and you can rule the pot out. When cleaning, do not use an aggresive scratchy. That can remove the layer.

Back on topic. Just add to the end of the boil. Nothing to worry about. I like to soak mine in star an first. Makes it nice and shiney, and I like shiney things.
Yeah it has definitely been well used..its over 30+ years old...I don't really use metal anywhere else through the process except for my caps and the mash bulkhead. Also I second the star San making it look nice.