Weissbier 50/50 Munich/Wheat Hefeweizen - Home Brew Forums

Register Now!
Home Brew Forums > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Homebrew Ale Recipes > Weissbier 50/50 Munich/Wheat Hefeweizen

Old 04-21-2012, 03:20 PM   #1
ghpeel

Recipes 

Jan 2009
Gainesville, FL
Liked 24 Times on 22 Posts

Recipe Type: All Grain   
Yeast: WLP 380 Hefe IV   
Yeast Starter: 1qt   
Batch Size (Gallons): 5.2   
Original Gravity: 1.049   
Final Gravity: 1.012   
IBU: 14   
Boiling Time (Minutes): 60   
Color: 8 SRM   
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp): 14 days @ 64F   
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp): 14 days @ 34F   
Tasting Notes: Rich bready wheat flavors, balance of spice & banana from yeast   

Here's the recipe for the best Hefe I've made so far. The name comes from the fact that its got Munich Malt for 50% of the grain bill, not that its an authentic Hefe from Munich (which would be Pils/Wheat instead).

It's chock full of wheat flavor, and a nice balance of clove & banana, with a little more banana/fruit than clove. The Munich malt does not make it too malty, it just adds a nice rich bready character.

5lb Munich Malt, Weyerman
5lb Wheat Malt, Weyerman
Single Infusion at 152F for 60min

1oz Hallertaur(4.8% AA) @ 60min (can sub with Tett, Perle, Vanguard, etc)

1qt yeast starter of White Labs WLP 380 Hefeweizen IV yeast.

Ferment at about 64-65F for about 2 weeks. One thing I noticed with this beer is that it took a little time in the keg to really come together, unlike other Hefe's I've done. The flavors just were a little muddy for the first two weeks, but really clicked after that.

I suspect my single infusion mash isn't ideal for this beer, but its damn good as-is. Next time, I'll probably try to do a ferulic acid rest at 113F as suggested to me by ArcaneXor. This should enhance the clove flavor by creating more of the clove-precursor, "4-v-g" (its got some crazy long chemical name I can't/won't remember).

Kegged: Dunkelweizen
Primary: American Pale Ale