Weissbier 50/50 Munich/Wheat Hefeweizen

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ghpeel

Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
WLP 380 Hefe IV
Yeast Starter
1qt
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
8 SRM
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
14 days @ 64F
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
14 days @ 34F
Tasting Notes
Rich bready wheat flavors, balance of spice & banana from yeast
Here's the recipe for the best Hefe I've made so far. The name comes from the fact that its got Munich Malt for 50% of the grain bill, not that its an authentic Hefe from Munich (which would be Pils/Wheat instead).

It's chock full of wheat flavor, and a nice balance of clove & banana, with a little more banana/fruit than clove. The Munich malt does not make it too malty, it just adds a nice rich bready character.

5lb Munich Malt, Weyerman
5lb Wheat Malt, Weyerman
Single Infusion at 152F for 60min

1oz Hallertaur(4.8% AA) @ 60min (can sub with Tett, Perle, Vanguard, etc)

1qt yeast starter of White Labs WLP 380 Hefeweizen IV yeast.

Ferment at about 64-65F for about 2 weeks. One thing I noticed with this beer is that it took a little time in the keg to really come together, unlike other Hefe's I've done. The flavors just were a little muddy for the first two weeks, but really clicked after that.

I suspect my single infusion mash isn't ideal for this beer, but its damn good as-is. Next time, I'll probably try to do a ferulic acid rest at 113F as suggested to me by ArcaneXor. This should enhance the clove flavor by creating more of the clove-precursor, "4-v-g" (its got some crazy long chemical name I can't/won't remember).

Back