Ss Brewtech’s Biggest Baddest Holiday Giveaway Ever!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Sweet/tart Cherry Ale recipe - looking for some input
Old 04-20-2012, 04:51 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Liked 109 Times on 95 Posts
Likes Given: 18

Default Sweet/tart Cherry Ale recipe - looking for some input

Hi Everyone,

I'm working on a recipe for a cherry ale. Looking for any input. I want it to come out a bit sweet and a bit tart, but on the lighter/dry side. Here's what I'm looking at so far:

3.5 lbs pale 6-row
3.3 lbs light LME
1 lb light DME
1 lb flaked rye
.5 lb crystal 10
.5 lb carapils

1 oz styrian goldings 3.8%AA @60 min
1 oz fuggles 4.5%AA @ 15 min

8 oz lactose @ 10 min
16 oz cherry concentrate @ flameout

Hopville says that at 50% efficiency this gives me a OG of 1.049 and an estimated FG of 1.012, 18 IBU, and 4 SRM. I know the gravity will be affected by the lactose, but I can't correct for that in hopville's recipe calculator.

I feel like I'm erring on the side of caution with the lactose and the cherry. I added the flaked rye becuase of the character that it brings and the 6-row is there becuase I get terrible efficiency and I need all the enzymes I can muster for that rye.

Another question I have is what type of yeast to use. Should I keep it simple and go with S-04 or S-05? I had a thought, maybe a saison or abbey ale yeast could really make this a fun beer, since they will bring their own complexity to the mix. Is that just a bad idea? Am I looking for trouble there? I'm trying to experiment and improvise a bit more these days, but I haven't done enough in the past to know what will make an interesting beer vs. an undrinkable mess.

Everyone's always in favor of saving Hitler's brain but when you put it in the body of a great white shark, oooooh, suddenly you've gone too far.