Berliner Weiss - Page 6 - Home Brew Forums

Register Now!
Home Brew Forums > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Homebrew Sours & Wilds Recipes > Berliner Weiss

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 08-27-2013, 12:36 AM   #51
Haputanlas
 
Haputanlas's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Jan 2010
Austin, TX
Posts: 2,975
Liked 59 Times on 58 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by IslandLizard View Post

That's right, I've used strips for more than twice that price.

Now, how accurate is this thing? I don't see a storage solution, although the bottom cap could hold some, and probably should so the calomel electrode doesn't dry out.

If it gives accurate service for a year or longer it could be a decent deal.
I wouldn't count on it lasting a year. However, if it lasts me for 2-3 brews, it already seems worth it.

$11 is cheap when each of my batches are 12+ gallons.
__________________
"There is no strong beer, only weak men"
"Pretty women make us BUY beer, ugly women make us DRINK beer" - Al Bundy
"Give a man a beer, he'll drink for a day. Teach a man to brew, he'll be drunk for the rest of his life."

Primary: Viking Metal, Berliner Weisse
Kegged: Oaked English Mild, Modus Hoperandi
Bottled: None
Notable Empties: Oaked Black IIPA, BBK I, Red IIPA, Burning Bush, Apophis "The Destroyer", Vanilla Porter
On-Deck: Hobbit Ale, The Titan BW, Ale of Olympus

 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 02:09 AM   #52
Steve271828
Recipes 
 
May 2013
Cherry Hill, New Jersey
Posts: 25
Liked 5 Times on 2 Posts


I brewed this in late April and wanted to post some tasting notes. I added saison yeast while it was in secondary because the gravity wasn't moving so it might differ a bit from the recipe as posted.

Pours a clear light golden color. Pretty good head retention.

Extremely strong funk aroma. You can smell the funk on this from across the room. I would say it has a slight medicinal quality. I fermented the lacto sub-batch and the brett sub-batch pretty warm so I'm attributing it to that. There's also some citrus notes and a slight spiciness, probably from the saison yeast.

Moderate carbonation. Light mouthfeel.

Taste begins with a sweetness and finishes with a light, refreshing tartness. Not much detectable funk here.

Pretty interesting overall, although the initial funkiness is a bit off-putting.
Click image for larger version

Name:	20130828_215931.jpg
Views:	418
Size:	30.4 KB
ID:	144976  

Reason: Rotated image

 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 04:29 PM   #53
erockdoc
Recipes 
 
Jul 2013
Posts: 50
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve271828 View Post
I brewed this in late April and wanted to post some tasting notes. I added saison yeast while it was in secondary because the gravity wasn't moving so it might differ a bit from the recipe as posted.

Pours a clear light golden color. Pretty good head retention.

Extremely strong funk aroma. You can smell the funk on this from across the room. I would say it has a slight medicinal quality. I fermented the lacto sub-batch and the brett sub-batch pretty warm so I'm attributing it to that. There's also some citrus notes and a slight spiciness, probably from the saison yeast.

Moderate carbonation. Light mouthfeel.

Taste begins with a sweetness and finishes with a light, refreshing tartness. Not much detectable funk here.

Pretty interesting overall, although the initial funkiness is a bit off-putting.
nice! Too bad about the funk though. Do you think it came from the lacto or the brett? Warmer temps are usually favorable for both lacto and brett.

Also, nice glass! I had 2 of them, but just broke one a couple weeks ago.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 05:06 PM   #54
Steve271828
Recipes 
 
May 2013
Cherry Hill, New Jersey
Posts: 25
Liked 5 Times on 2 Posts


That's a good question. I forgot to mention that my LHBS didn't have any lacto culture so I ended up pitching a handful of grain for the lacto batch. It's possible (probable) that there were some extra funky bugs in there. But I smelled the lacto batch before I combined it, and it had a kind of fruity aroma. I also think the Brett was extremely underpitched, which would probably contribute to a stronger funkiness.

Yeah I'm a big fan of that glass. I actually got it for free during Philly beer week at Uno Chicago Grill!

 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 12:22 AM   #55
erockdoc
Recipes 
 
Jul 2013
Posts: 50
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve271828
That's a good question. I forgot to mention that my LHBS didn't have any lacto culture so I ended up pitching a handful of grain for the lacto batch. It's possible (probable) that there were some extra funky bugs in there. But I smelled the lacto batch before I combined it, and it had a kind of fruity aroma. I also think the Brett was extremely underpitched, which would probably contribute to a stronger funkiness.

Yeah I'm a big fan of that glass. I actually got it for free during Philly beer week at Uno Chicago Grill!
Nice, I got mine at a tasting in Amherst, MA with Sam himself.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 08:45 PM   #56
Haputanlas
 
Haputanlas's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Jan 2010
Austin, TX
Posts: 2,975
Liked 59 Times on 58 Posts


Got my first taste of this beer from a hydro sample. It's fantastic!

I'll post a picture later today, but this ended up around 3.9%ABV and the perfect tart/sour level.
__________________
"There is no strong beer, only weak men"
"Pretty women make us BUY beer, ugly women make us DRINK beer" - Al Bundy
"Give a man a beer, he'll drink for a day. Teach a man to brew, he'll be drunk for the rest of his life."

Primary: Viking Metal, Berliner Weisse
Kegged: Oaked English Mild, Modus Hoperandi
Bottled: None
Notable Empties: Oaked Black IIPA, BBK I, Red IIPA, Burning Bush, Apophis "The Destroyer", Vanilla Porter
On-Deck: Hobbit Ale, The Titan BW, Ale of Olympus

 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 12:44 PM   #57
erockdoc
Recipes 
 
Jul 2013
Posts: 50
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by Haputanlas View Post
Got my first taste of this beer from a hydro sample. It's fantastic!

I'll post a picture later today, but this ended up around 3.9%ABV and the perfect tart/sour level.
Sounds great! I'm not too sure how to calculate the ABV on mine. I need to do more research on whether or not both the brett and lacto batches produce alcohol.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 03:31 PM   #58
Haputanlas
 
Haputanlas's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Jan 2010
Austin, TX
Posts: 2,975
Liked 59 Times on 58 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by erockdoc View Post
Sounds great! I'm not too sure how to calculate the ABV on mine. I need to do more research on whether or not both the brett and lacto batches produce alcohol.
To be honest, I should have said "Max ABV". I didn't take a reading after the sour mash and before the Sach pitch. This is probably the only way to have truly known the ABV (Short of sending a sample for analysis).

Since my sour mash was made by pitching uncrushed 2-row, Lactobacillus Delbrueckii is the bacteria being used. Based on what I know, this strain doesn't produce alcohol, so 3.9% ABV is likely high and should be slightly lower. However, I would assume (without much to back it up) that this doesn't consume that much sugar and ABV will be 3.5%+.
__________________
"There is no strong beer, only weak men"
"Pretty women make us BUY beer, ugly women make us DRINK beer" - Al Bundy
"Give a man a beer, he'll drink for a day. Teach a man to brew, he'll be drunk for the rest of his life."

Primary: Viking Metal, Berliner Weisse
Kegged: Oaked English Mild, Modus Hoperandi
Bottled: None
Notable Empties: Oaked Black IIPA, BBK I, Red IIPA, Burning Bush, Apophis "The Destroyer", Vanilla Porter
On-Deck: Hobbit Ale, The Titan BW, Ale of Olympus

 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 03:33 PM   #59
Haputanlas
 
Haputanlas's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Jan 2010
Austin, TX
Posts: 2,975
Liked 59 Times on 58 Posts


By the way, here is a quick pic (Ugly cell phone camera quality though). The beer is actually much clearer than what it looks like here.


__________________
"There is no strong beer, only weak men"
"Pretty women make us BUY beer, ugly women make us DRINK beer" - Al Bundy
"Give a man a beer, he'll drink for a day. Teach a man to brew, he'll be drunk for the rest of his life."

Primary: Viking Metal, Berliner Weisse
Kegged: Oaked English Mild, Modus Hoperandi
Bottled: None
Notable Empties: Oaked Black IIPA, BBK I, Red IIPA, Burning Bush, Apophis "The Destroyer", Vanilla Porter
On-Deck: Hobbit Ale, The Titan BW, Ale of Olympus

 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 01:00 AM   #60
Haputanlas
 
Haputanlas's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Jan 2010
Austin, TX
Posts: 2,975
Liked 59 Times on 58 Posts


Another update
__________________
"There is no strong beer, only weak men"
"Pretty women make us BUY beer, ugly women make us DRINK beer" - Al Bundy
"Give a man a beer, he'll drink for a day. Teach a man to brew, he'll be drunk for the rest of his life."

Primary: Viking Metal, Berliner Weisse
Kegged: Oaked English Mild, Modus Hoperandi
Bottled: None
Notable Empties: Oaked Black IIPA, BBK I, Red IIPA, Burning Bush, Apophis "The Destroyer", Vanilla Porter
On-Deck: Hobbit Ale, The Titan BW, Ale of Olympus

 
Reply With Quote
Reply
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Berliner Weisse Quick and Dirty Berliner Simps Homebrew Sours & Wilds Recipes 36 06-27-2016 03:20 AM
Alferman Imperial Berliner Weisse Morkin Homebrew Sours & Wilds Recipes 166 08-08-2015 03:13 PM
Berliner Weisse rivertranced Homebrew Sours & Wilds Recipes 32 07-01-2014 05:44 PM


Forum Jump