Berliner Weiss - Page 6 - Home Brew Forums

Register Now!
Home Brew Forums > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Homebrew Sours & Wilds Recipes > Berliner Weiss

Old 08-27-2013, 12:36 AM   #51
Haputanlas

Recipes 

Jan 2010
Austin, TX
Liked 59 Times on 58 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by IslandLizard View Post

That's right, I've used strips for more than twice that price.

Now, how accurate is this thing? I don't see a storage solution, although the bottom cap could hold some, and probably should so the calomel electrode doesn't dry out.

If it gives accurate service for a year or longer it could be a decent deal.
I wouldn't count on it lasting a year. However, if it lasts me for 2-3 brews, it already seems worth it.

$11 is cheap when each of my batches are 12+ gallons.

Primary: Viking Metal, Berliner Weisse
Kegged: Oaked English Mild, Modus Hoperandi
Bottled: None
Notable Empties: Oaked Black IIPA, BBK I, Red IIPA, Burning Bush, Apophis "The Destroyer", Vanilla Porter
On-Deck: Hobbit Ale, The Titan BW, Ale of Olympus

Old 08-29-2013, 02:09 AM   #52
Steve271828
Recipes 

May 2013
Cherry Hill, New Jersey
Liked 5 Times on 2 Posts

I brewed this in late April and wanted to post some tasting notes. I added saison yeast while it was in secondary because the gravity wasn't moving so it might differ a bit from the recipe as posted.

Pours a clear light golden color. Pretty good head retention.

Extremely strong funk aroma. You can smell the funk on this from across the room. I would say it has a slight medicinal quality. I fermented the lacto sub-batch and the brett sub-batch pretty warm so I'm attributing it to that. There's also some citrus notes and a slight spiciness, probably from the saison yeast.

Moderate carbonation. Light mouthfeel.

Taste begins with a sweetness and finishes with a light, refreshing tartness. Not much detectable funk here.

Pretty interesting overall, although the initial funkiness is a bit off-putting.
Click image for larger version

Name:	20130828_215931.jpg
Views:	418
Size:	30.4 KB
ID:	144976  

Reason: Rotated image

Old 08-30-2013, 04:29 PM   #53
erockdoc
Recipes 

Jul 2013
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve271828 View Post
I brewed this in late April and wanted to post some tasting notes. I added saison yeast while it was in secondary because the gravity wasn't moving so it might differ a bit from the recipe as posted.

Pours a clear light golden color. Pretty good head retention.

Extremely strong funk aroma. You can smell the funk on this from across the room. I would say it has a slight medicinal quality. I fermented the lacto sub-batch and the brett sub-batch pretty warm so I'm attributing it to that. There's also some citrus notes and a slight spiciness, probably from the saison yeast.

Moderate carbonation. Light mouthfeel.

Taste begins with a sweetness and finishes with a light, refreshing tartness. Not much detectable funk here.

Pretty interesting overall, although the initial funkiness is a bit off-putting.
nice! Too bad about the funk though. Do you think it came from the lacto or the brett? Warmer temps are usually favorable for both lacto and brett.

Also, nice glass! I had 2 of them, but just broke one a couple weeks ago.

Old 08-30-2013, 05:06 PM   #54
Steve271828
Recipes 

May 2013
Cherry Hill, New Jersey
Liked 5 Times on 2 Posts

That's a good question. I forgot to mention that my LHBS didn't have any lacto culture so I ended up pitching a handful of grain for the lacto batch. It's possible (probable) that there were some extra funky bugs in there. But I smelled the lacto batch before I combined it, and it had a kind of fruity aroma. I also think the Brett was extremely underpitched, which would probably contribute to a stronger funkiness.

Yeah I'm a big fan of that glass. I actually got it for free during Philly beer week at Uno Chicago Grill!

Old 08-31-2013, 12:22 AM   #55
erockdoc
Recipes 

Jul 2013
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve271828
That's a good question. I forgot to mention that my LHBS didn't have any lacto culture so I ended up pitching a handful of grain for the lacto batch. It's possible (probable) that there were some extra funky bugs in there. But I smelled the lacto batch before I combined it, and it had a kind of fruity aroma. I also think the Brett was extremely underpitched, which would probably contribute to a stronger funkiness.

Yeah I'm a big fan of that glass. I actually got it for free during Philly beer week at Uno Chicago Grill!
Nice, I got mine at a tasting in Amherst, MA with Sam himself.

Old 09-01-2013, 08:45 PM   #56
Haputanlas

Recipes 

Jan 2010
Austin, TX

Got my first taste of this beer from a hydro sample. It's fantastic!

I'll post a picture later today, but this ended up around 3.9%ABV and the perfect tart/sour level.

Notable Empties: Oaked Black IIPA, BBK I, Red IIPA, Burning Bush, Apophis "The Destroyer", Vanilla Porter

Old 09-02-2013, 12:44 PM   #57
erockdoc
Recipes 

Jul 2013
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haputanlas View Post
Got my first taste of this beer from a hydro sample. It's fantastic!

I'll post a picture later today, but this ended up around 3.9%ABV and the perfect tart/sour level.
Sounds great! I'm not too sure how to calculate the ABV on mine. I need to do more research on whether or not both the brett and lacto batches produce alcohol.

Old 09-02-2013, 03:31 PM   #58
Haputanlas

Recipes 

Jan 2010
Austin, TX

Quote:
Originally Posted by erockdoc View Post
Sounds great! I'm not too sure how to calculate the ABV on mine. I need to do more research on whether or not both the brett and lacto batches produce alcohol.
To be honest, I should have said "Max ABV". I didn't take a reading after the sour mash and before the Sach pitch. This is probably the only way to have truly known the ABV (Short of sending a sample for analysis).

Since my sour mash was made by pitching uncrushed 2-row, Lactobacillus Delbrueckii is the bacteria being used. Based on what I know, this strain doesn't produce alcohol, so 3.9% ABV is likely high and should be slightly lower. However, I would assume (without much to back it up) that this doesn't consume that much sugar and ABV will be 3.5%+.

Old 09-02-2013, 03:33 PM   #59
Haputanlas

Recipes 

Jan 2010
Austin, TX

By the way, here is a quick pic (Ugly cell phone camera quality though). The beer is actually much clearer than what it looks like here.

Old 09-10-2013, 01:00 AM   #60
Haputanlas

Recipes 

Jan 2010
Austin, TX

Another update