Hops for wheat beer all grain

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

idahobrew

Reaction score
Going to brew a wheat beer this weekend, these are the hops I have on hand, chinook, cascade, willamette and liberty. Any suggestions for amounts and time?

Depends on the wheat beer your going for.

My preferred wheat is an American wheat and Willamette and Cascade fit that bill. go for 25-30 ibu's

Id probably do .5oz cascade for 60 min, .5oz Willamette for 60min, and .5oz Willamette for 10min.

I'm really fond of Oberon so I brewed the clone recipe that can be found on these forums (the one with the decoction mash). I bottled it last weekend and it tasted amazing out of the fermenter. It uses only Saaz in the boil and Saaz and Cascade for a dry hop, but I think Willamette in the boil (maybe ~20ish IBUs from your 60 minute addition and an ounce at 15) and 0.5 oz of Willamette and 1.0 oz of Cascade dry hopped would turn out pretty fantastic.

My third ever batch was a wheat beer with chinook. For this 4 gal batch I used .75 oz chinook for 60 min. and .5 oz cascade for 15 min. Two and half weeks later it is way hoppy, good for an IPA. That was not my intent. I'm hoping it will mellow out over time.

Back