Mt. Pleasant Gruit Help - Home Brew Forums

Register Now!
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Extract Brewing > Mt. Pleasant Gruit Help

Old 04-19-2012, 04:52 PM   #1
laiced
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Apr 2011
Eagle Mountain, UT
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Okay, so I love Gruit, but I have not seen very many recipes online for it, and I have a very limited scope of Gruit to base off of.

Mt. Pleasant Sacred Gruit is one that I know and love and here is what the website says about it"

Sacred Gruit Ale
Pale Ale brewed with Yarrow, Myrtle and Rosemary

ALC 5.8% by Vol

MY intuition tells me that I could simply brew a pale ale of my choice and add these ingredients.

Any ideas on if this would be a correct assumption, and what the timing of these additions would be?
Bottled - Belgian Strong Bourbon Rye Wine, Experimental Gruit, SweetStone Pale Ale [Magic Hat #9 clone], Touch of Strange Graff (Brandon O's), Citra Pale Ale
Kegged - SweetStone Pale Ale [Magic Hat #9 clone], Touch of Strange Graff (Brandon O's)

Old 04-19-2012, 05:45 PM   #2
TipsyDragon
Recipes 

Mar 2009
California
Liked 24 Times on 22 Posts

Thats not a bad idea. One of the perks of home brewing is the experimenting. If the recipe doesn't work you can try again. I recently did a gruit stout and it came out fairly good. I used the grain bill from a book and the gruit bill from a website I'm sure you have found in your research.

Old 04-20-2012, 04:00 AM   #3
laiced
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Apr 2011
Eagle Mountain, UT
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TipsyDragon View Post
Thats not a bad idea. One of the perks of home brewing is the experimenting. If the recipe doesn't work you can try again. I recently did a gruit stout and it came out fairly good. I used the grain bill from a book and the gruit bill from a website I'm sure you have found in your research.
I assume that you did a no hop version of the stout and let the herbs take care of that portion, correct?
Bottled - Belgian Strong Bourbon Rye Wine, Experimental Gruit, SweetStone Pale Ale [Magic Hat #9 clone], Touch of Strange Graff (Brandon O's), Citra Pale Ale
Kegged - SweetStone Pale Ale [Magic Hat #9 clone], Touch of Strange Graff (Brandon O's)

Old 04-20-2012, 03:44 PM   #4
TipsyDragon
Recipes 

Mar 2009
California
Liked 24 Times on 22 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by laiced View Post
I assume that you did a no hop version of the stout and let the herbs take care of that portion, correct?
that is correct. You can definitely tell there isn't any hops in there but I like it. The bitterness from the mugwort came out just right IMO.