Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Wheat and Rye Beer > All-Grain - Rye Pale Ale

Old 10-16-2012, 03:45 PM   #11
DasSchlebach
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by permo

Not an amber color it all. This is a very pale, crisp, clean and dry ale.
Awesome, that's exactly what I'm looking for, gonna brew this up tomorrow. I have been reading that the rye can get "sticky", I've been told to add about 2% rice hulls to your grain bill to prevent any "sticking". Anyone notice that at all?

Old 10-16-2012, 03:47 PM   #12
permo
Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by DasSchlebach View Post
Awesome, that's exactly what I'm looking for, gonna brew this up tomorrow. I have been reading that the rye can get "sticky", I've been told to add about 2% rice hulls to your grain bill to prevent any "sticking". Anyone notice that at all?
I have never used rice hulls in my life. I wouldn't worry about it. I grind very fine too.

This is an excellent, "pour a cold mug and quench your thirst" type of ale.

Now that I think about it....a pound of flaked oats would be good in this one.

Old 10-17-2012, 03:08 PM   #13
DasSchlebach
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by permo

This is an excellent, "pour a cold mug and quench your thirst" type of ale.
Hearing that just made my mouth water...
I'm getting my stuff together and brewing this tonight!

Old 11-10-2012, 12:19 AM   #14
Hauger
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I ran across this after looking for a good rye beer. Here's the thing, I'm new to brewing in general and All-Grain in specific (only brewed 2 batches so far). I've never dry hopped and don't really understand what it does to the beer as far as flavour/bitterness...so, if I brewed this but omitted the dry-hop (so, just did the boiled hops), how do you think it would end up tasting?

Old 11-10-2012, 05:49 AM   #15
pm5k00
Recipes 

Liked 34 Times on 31 Posts
Likes Given: 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hauger
I ran across this after looking for a good rye beer. Here's the thing, I'm new to brewing in general and All-Grain in specific (only brewed 2 batches so far). I've never dry hopped and don't really understand what it does to the beer as far as flavour/bitterness...so, if I brewed this but omitted the dry-hop (so, just did the boiled hops), how do you think it would end up tasting?
Dry hopping only adds aroma, no flavor or bitterness. However extended dryhopping can add a grassy flavor that most people don't like.

Old 11-17-2012, 02:25 AM   #16
Hauger
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Question about the Hops schedule...I put the recipe into Brewtarget and it listed the recipe as "Way Hoppy" with IBU over 100, all based on the Magnum Hops in a 5 Gal batch. That's a little higher than the recipe-listed IBU of 35. So.....what am I inputing wrong. I really want to avoid having the hops overpower the Rye taste. Adjusting the Magnum to 1/4 oz resulted in it saying it was "Balanced" with an IBU of 46.

Just to mention too, I couldn't get the Victory grains at my LHBS, so I just added an extra 1/2 lb of 2-row.

Thoughts?

Old 12-29-2012, 04:28 AM   #17
chickypad
lupulin shift victim
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 544 Times on 454 Posts
Likes Given: 224

I'm going to try out your grain bill tomorrow for a brew I've been planning. I finally got some Nelson sauvin to try for the first time and wanted to make a rye pale or IPA. I agree with your thought about not hiding the rye behind too much roasted or caramel malts. I love Alpine's nelson IPA which is a beautiful light golden (and which I only get to drink when I can bribe my brother to drive some up from down south).

BTW, was that wyeast 1098 or 1968 you were using? Don't see a 1068 listed on the site. I'm going with US-05 but just curious.

Old 01-21-2013, 04:59 PM   #18
permo
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by chickypad View Post
I'm going to try out your grain bill tomorrow for a brew I've been planning. I finally got some Nelson sauvin to try for the first time and wanted to make a rye pale or IPA. I agree with your thought about not hiding the rye behind too much roasted or caramel malts. I love Alpine's nelson IPA which is a beautiful light golden (and which I only get to drink when I can bribe my brother to drive some up from down south).

BTW, was that wyeast 1098 or 1968 you were using? Don't see a 1068 listed on the site. I'm going with US-05 but just curious.
sorry, it was 1968. ESB yeast.

Old 01-24-2013, 11:24 PM   #19
ShadyBrewer
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I'm mashing this recipe as I type. I can't wait to see how this turns out. I'm stoked to make my first rye beer.

Old 01-28-2013, 06:45 PM   #20
permo
Recipes 

I am glad to see so much interest in this recipe. I am on roughly my 100th batch of all grain beer, and the trend I see over time, is that my recipes are much, much simpler now than in the beggining. Simple recipes, executed properly make fantastic beer.