Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Wheat and Rye Beer > All-Grain - Rye Pale Ale

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 10-16-2012, 03:45 PM   #11
DasSchlebach
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: IE
Posts: 32
Default


Quote:
Originally Posted by permo

Not an amber color it all. This is a very pale, crisp, clean and dry ale.
Awesome, that's exactly what I'm looking for, gonna brew this up tomorrow. I have been reading that the rye can get "sticky", I've been told to add about 2% rice hulls to your grain bill to prevent any "sticking". Anyone notice that at all?
__________________
Primary: Dunkelweizen Fraken-Beer
Secondary: Empty
Bottled/Kegged: Cali Common W/Tangerines
DasSchlebach is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 03:47 PM   #12
permo
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: North Dakota
Posts: 2,788
Liked 29 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Default


Quote:
Originally Posted by DasSchlebach View Post
Awesome, that's exactly what I'm looking for, gonna brew this up tomorrow. I have been reading that the rye can get "sticky", I've been told to add about 2% rice hulls to your grain bill to prevent any "sticking". Anyone notice that at all?
I have never used rice hulls in my life. I wouldn't worry about it. I grind very fine too.

This is an excellent, "pour a cold mug and quench your thirst" type of ale.


Now that I think about it....a pound of flaked oats would be good in this one.
permo is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 03:08 PM   #13
DasSchlebach
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: IE
Posts: 32
Default


Quote:
Originally Posted by permo

This is an excellent, "pour a cold mug and quench your thirst" type of ale.
Hearing that just made my mouth water...
I'm getting my stuff together and brewing this tonight!
__________________
Primary: Dunkelweizen Fraken-Beer
Secondary: Empty
Bottled/Kegged: Cali Common W/Tangerines
DasSchlebach is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 12:19 AM   #14
Hauger
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: North Bay
Posts: 51
Liked 4 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Default


I ran across this after looking for a good rye beer. Here's the thing, I'm new to brewing in general and All-Grain in specific (only brewed 2 batches so far). I've never dry hopped and don't really understand what it does to the beer as far as flavour/bitterness...so, if I brewed this but omitted the dry-hop (so, just did the boiled hops), how do you think it would end up tasting?
Hauger is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 05:49 AM   #15
pm5k00
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Cibolo, TX
Posts: 925
Liked 34 Times on 31 Posts
Likes Given: 37

Default


Quote:
Originally Posted by Hauger
I ran across this after looking for a good rye beer. Here's the thing, I'm new to brewing in general and All-Grain in specific (only brewed 2 batches so far). I've never dry hopped and don't really understand what it does to the beer as far as flavour/bitterness...so, if I brewed this but omitted the dry-hop (so, just did the boiled hops), how do you think it would end up tasting?
Dry hopping only adds aroma, no flavor or bitterness. However extended dryhopping can add a grassy flavor that most people don't like.
pm5k00 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 02:25 AM   #16
Hauger
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: North Bay
Posts: 51
Liked 4 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Default


Question about the Hops schedule...I put the recipe into Brewtarget and it listed the recipe as "Way Hoppy" with IBU over 100, all based on the Magnum Hops in a 5 Gal batch. That's a little higher than the recipe-listed IBU of 35. So.....what am I inputing wrong. I really want to avoid having the hops overpower the Rye taste. Adjusting the Magnum to 1/4 oz resulted in it saying it was "Balanced" with an IBU of 46.

Just to mention too, I couldn't get the Victory grains at my LHBS, so I just added an extra 1/2 lb of 2-row.

Thoughts?
Hauger is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 04:28 AM   #17
chickypad
lupulin shift victim
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
chickypad's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: SF Peninsula
Posts: 3,914
Liked 544 Times on 454 Posts
Likes Given: 224

Default


I'm going to try out your grain bill tomorrow for a brew I've been planning. I finally got some Nelson sauvin to try for the first time and wanted to make a rye pale or IPA. I agree with your thought about not hiding the rye behind too much roasted or caramel malts. I love Alpine's nelson IPA which is a beautiful light golden (and which I only get to drink when I can bribe my brother to drive some up from down south).

BTW, was that wyeast 1098 or 1968 you were using? Don't see a 1068 listed on the site. I'm going with US-05 but just curious.
chickypad is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 04:59 PM   #18
permo
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: North Dakota
Posts: 2,788
Liked 29 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Default


Quote:
Originally Posted by chickypad View Post
I'm going to try out your grain bill tomorrow for a brew I've been planning. I finally got some Nelson sauvin to try for the first time and wanted to make a rye pale or IPA. I agree with your thought about not hiding the rye behind too much roasted or caramel malts. I love Alpine's nelson IPA which is a beautiful light golden (and which I only get to drink when I can bribe my brother to drive some up from down south).

BTW, was that wyeast 1098 or 1968 you were using? Don't see a 1068 listed on the site. I'm going with US-05 but just curious.
sorry, it was 1968. ESB yeast.
permo is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 11:24 PM   #19
ShadyBrewer
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 120
Liked 15 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default


I'm mashing this recipe as I type. I can't wait to see how this turns out. I'm stoked to make my first rye beer.
ShadyBrewer is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 06:45 PM   #20
permo
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: North Dakota
Posts: 2,788
Liked 29 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Default


I am glad to see so much interest in this recipe. I am on roughly my 100th batch of all grain beer, and the trend I see over time, is that my recipes are much, much simpler now than in the beggining. Simple recipes, executed properly make fantastic beer.
permo is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
All-Grain - Rye Pale Ale Chello Wheat and Rye Beer 52 07-21-2015 04:45 AM
All-Grain - Zest Bomb - Citrus Wheat Pale Ale bovineblitz Wheat and Rye Beer 94 07-13-2015 02:22 PM
All-Grain - Shackled to a Corpse - Rye Pale Ale/American Rye Tamarlane Wheat and Rye Beer 4 02-23-2012 02:55 PM
All-Grain - Pale Wheat-10lbs-5gl Getafix Wheat and Rye Beer 0 12-09-2011 09:24 PM


Forum Jump

Newest Threads

LATEST SPONSOR DEALS