Wood-Aged Beer Allagash Curieux Clone - Page 3 - Home Brew Forums
Register Now For Free!

Home Brew Forums > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Specialty, Fruit, Historical, Other Homebrew Recipes > Wood-Aged Beer Allagash Curieux Clone

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 07-29-2013, 05:39 PM   #21
1Mainebrew
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 
 
Jun 2010
, Maine
Posts: 942
Liked 34 Times on 32 Posts


I just let it hang out on the cake the whole time but either way would work. Have fun, it's delish!
__________________
Bucket: Air
Carboy 1: Stout
Carboy 2: Air
Carboy 3: Air
Better Bottle: Air
Growlers: Air
Keg 1: Amber Ale(left tap)
Keg 2: Cider (right tap)
Keg 3: Air
Keg 4: Ale Full-O-Funk
Bottles: Sauvignon Blanc, Mixed Wine, Syrah, Apple Wine, Triberry Wine, Chianti, Liquid Sunshine Sparkling Banana Wine
In the Works: Kate the Great Clone

Favorite Recipe #1: Kate the Great Clone
Favorite Recipe #2: Crop Chopper PAL
Favorite Recipe #3: Curieux Clone

 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 05:13 PM   #22
bolus14
Recipes 
 
Dec 2012
Posts: 806
Liked 51 Times on 45 Posts


JWeidman - not sure if you got an answer about a 10 gallon batch but what I would do is make a 10 gallon batch. Rack 5 gallons to a secondary, with the Jim Beam soaked oak chips and leave the other 5 gallon in the primary. After the "oak aging" rack them together.

Allagash states that they blend "oaked" and "unoaked" to make the finished beer. I have yet to find a clone recipe that states what quantities of each to use though. In the end your looking to find the right taste of bourbon when it gets mixed. To me both the Curieux and the Bourbon black have a nice subtle bourbon taste to them, many over do the bourbon aspect and you lose the base beer taste. So, I think your just looking for a subtle bourbon finish as the end result.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 10:03 PM   #23
nimboden
Recipes 
 
Apr 2013
Posts: 79
Liked 10 Times on 6 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by bolus14 View Post
JWeidman - not sure if you got an answer about a 10 gallon batch but what I would do is make a 10 gallon batch. Rack 5 gallons to a secondary, with the Jim Beam soaked oak chips and leave the other 5 gallon in the primary. After the "oak aging" rack them together.

Allagash states that they blend "oaked" and "unoaked" to make the finished beer. I have yet to find a clone recipe that states what quantities of each to use though. In the end your looking to find the right taste of bourbon when it gets mixed. To me both the Curieux and the Bourbon black have a nice subtle bourbon taste to them, many over do the bourbon aspect and you lose the base beer taste. So, I think your just looking for a subtle bourbon finish as the end result.
This is one of my favorite beers, been working with a recipe so this will be one of my next beers.

On a tour to Allagash they said they blend at about 80/20 beam barrel triple to fresh triple.
__________________
Gallons Brewed 2013: 165
Gallons Brewed 2014: 185

 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 10:19 PM   #24
cixelsyd
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 
 
Jan 2014
Portland, OR
Posts: 43
Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts


This is my favorite beer of all time, I can't wait to make this. I know there was some discussion in the other thread about the necessity of the two types of yeast, but I was looking for a substitute for the Wyeast 3522, and apparently it is the same yeast as the WLP550? If that's the case, it's simply a matter of having a proper starter made, yes?

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f163/bes...ptions-184872/

http://www.mrmalty.com/yeast.htm#Wyeast_vs_WLP

REALLY looking forward to trying this out, especially after all the positive feedback in the other thread! Thanks for putting it together!

 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 07:54 PM   #25
aggiebrewster
Recipes 
 
Mar 2014
Posts: 2

I went to go visit Allagash two summers ago and they instantly became one of my favorites.

This recipe looks fantastic. I've got all ingredients and am ready to go.

I brew in 1 gallon batches for versatility in addition to spatial constraints. I've read and heard a lot of issues with bourbon-oak over-powering the 1 gallon batches. How much oak chip do you recommend that I use and how long should I soak them?

Thanks!

 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 10:09 PM   #26
bolus14
Recipes 
 
Dec 2012
Posts: 806
Liked 51 Times on 45 Posts


If your using oak chips in a one gallon batch I would leave it on the oak long and wouldn't use very much at all. The chips have a lot of surface area so it won't take long to get the oak flavor imparted.

I used 3oz of cubes mixed with about 3.5oz of Devils Cut Bourbon for 5 gallons. The oak is definitely there, not overpowering but its noticeable.

I soaked mine for I think 4 weeks total. 2 weeks before brewing then primaried for 2 weeks then racked onto the oak for 2 weeks.

I know that's not a straight answer but I think your going to want to take sole each day after a few days and then decide when it tastes good to you. The oak has became stronger as the beer has aged so keep that in mind.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Home Brew mobile app

 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 05:22 AM   #27
aggiebrewster
Recipes 
 
Mar 2014
Posts: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by bolus14 View Post
If your using oak chips in a one gallon batch I would leave it on the oak long and wouldn't use very much at all. The chips have a lot of surface area so it won't take long to get the oak flavor imparted.

I used 3oz of cubes mixed with about 3.5oz of Devils Cut Bourbon for 5 gallons. The oak is definitely there, not overpowering but its noticeable.

I soaked mine for I think 4 weeks total. 2 weeks before brewing then primaried for 2 weeks then racked onto the oak for 2 weeks.

I know that's not a straight answer but I think your going to want to take sole each day after a few days and then decide when it tastes good to you. The oak has became stronger as the beer has aged so keep that in mind.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Home Brew mobile app
Thanks! This somewhat helps. I was thinking that since these chips are thin, it wouldn't take too long to soak in, nor absorb out. Would it make a difference if I just added the chips in w/o soaking and then add the bourbon towards the end of the secondary? I've never oaked before.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 11:38 PM   #28
Drizzt
 
Drizzt's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Jan 2013
Philadelphia ish, PA
Posts: 248
Liked 35 Times on 26 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by nimboden View Post
This is one of my favorite beers, been working with a recipe so this will be one of my next beers.



On a tour to Allagash they said they blend at about 80/20 beam barrel triple to fresh triple.

Ok so this is at the top of my list to brew. Is there any reason I can't split a 10 gallon batch and only oak age part then mix back together? He is the important question which part of 80/20 is is oak aged?


I'm not sure if my the flavors in my beer are off or complex 😳

 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 08:38 PM   #29
1Mainebrew
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 
 
Jun 2010
, Maine
Posts: 942
Liked 34 Times on 32 Posts


If you look at the other thread listed in the first post, that seems to be the preferred method.
__________________
Bucket: Air
Carboy 1: Stout
Carboy 2: Air
Carboy 3: Air
Better Bottle: Air
Growlers: Air
Keg 1: Amber Ale(left tap)
Keg 2: Cider (right tap)
Keg 3: Air
Keg 4: Ale Full-O-Funk
Bottles: Sauvignon Blanc, Mixed Wine, Syrah, Apple Wine, Triberry Wine, Chianti, Liquid Sunshine Sparkling Banana Wine
In the Works: Kate the Great Clone

Favorite Recipe #1: Kate the Great Clone
Favorite Recipe #2: Crop Chopper PAL
Favorite Recipe #3: Curieux Clone

 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2014, 04:44 PM   #30
rolewiii
Recipes 
 
Feb 2014
Rust Belt, Old Hop Country
Posts: 47
Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts


Can someone translate 60 days/Primary 80 days/Kegging for me?

Currently do not have a kegging setup. I would think 80 days in a secondary with temperature controlled?

Thanks.
__________________
“How to Overthrow the System: brew your own beer; kick in your Tee Vee; kill your own beef; build your own cabin and piss off the front porch whenever you bloody well feel like it.”

― Edward Abbey

 
Reply With Quote
Reply
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Allagash Curieux Clone 1Mainebrew Recipes/Ingredients 303 04-10-2016 11:35 PM
Got 2 Allagash Curieux Barrels, notice an odd smell in 1. rowco General Techniques 0 10-28-2013 01:26 PM
Allagash Tripel Clone or Duvel Clone recipe? jbenedetto Recipes/Ingredients 33 01-19-2013 04:08 AM
allagash curieux Cranny04 General Beer Discussion 0 05-07-2012 12:46 AM
I hve a few extra botles of Allagash Curieux Aval for swap KingHippo Sampling and Critiquing and Beer Swapping 0 11-30-2009 12:29 AM


Forum Jump