Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Sour Ale > Extract - Lambic (BOS, 3rd BOS and Two Golds)

Old 06-28-2013, 01:33 PM   #131
PintoBean
Hailstorm Brewing Co
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 109 Times on 61 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Pellicle after 3 months in bucket, going to give it another month before racking.
Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20130628_083243.jpg
Views:	531
Size:	27.8 KB
ID:	131730  

Old 06-29-2013, 01:27 AM   #132
Brewitt
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 72 Times on 66 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Here's an 11 month gravity sample of my Flemish Red with grapes. Nice bracing sourness, light but noticeable Brett funk, quite dry, slightly bitter. I racked it off the grapes this week. I think it is almost there.

Name:	image-1072719066.jpg
Views:	409
Size:	47.0 KB
ID:	131885
Adam Cole (aka cadamole) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L6dzUOYTQtQ)

Old 07-01-2013, 12:32 PM   #133
AmandaK
Recipes 

Liked 139 Times on 105 Posts
Likes Given: 24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zippox View Post
Hopefully one of the factors wasn't the fact that one of them held change for 10+ years. Lets hope I don't get through 1.5 years of waiting to find out it tastes like like quarters and dimes. --I did clean the hell out of it and sanitized it like there was no tomorrow.
Pellicles are all different in size, shape, gnarlyness, etc. You're probably just fine if you cleaned it well.

Old 07-02-2013, 01:26 PM   #134
PintoBean
Hailstorm Brewing Co

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmandaK View Post

Pellicles are all different in size, shape, gnarlyness, etc. You're probably just fine if you cleaned it well.
Yeah, I have 3 buckets going, all brewed the same day. 2 with ECY01 and one with ECY 02. They all have pellices, but the picture I posted was of the gnarliest one (one of the ECY 01 buckets), the others have a good one going, but to a lesser extent than the bucket I posted the pic of.

Old 07-17-2013, 01:20 PM   #135
itsratso
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 6 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 35 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 35

hi amanda, although i am new to brewing i have quickly become a big fan of yours and would like to try a lambic. actually 5 lambics (!). someone earlier in this post gave me the idea of buying those new little 1 gallon glass carboys with airlock (hey they're only $7 each!) and splitting up the batch into 5. that way i could have 5 different flavors to try (forgot to mention i will be doing fruit lambics). so a few simple noob questions if i may. is there a rule of thumb on how much fruit to add (x lbs per x gallons)? do you have to rack onto the fruit in a secondary (which would be an extra 5 carboys to buy) or can you add the fruit to the primary? and finally when do you recommend adding the fruit? thanx!

Old 07-17-2013, 03:21 PM   #136
AmandaK
Recipes 

Liked 139 Times on 105 Posts
Likes Given: 24

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsratso View Post
is there a rule of thumb on how much fruit to add (x lbs per x gallons)?
This depends on the fruit and the base beer. I have used 2lb/gallon of tart cherries to good effect in a Flanders Red. This rate may be too much in a blond ale and too little in a stout. On the other hand, if you were using white peaches or kiwis, this rate might not be enough. The Mad Fermentationist has much more information on that topic if you have the patience to dig through the blog. There are so many variations of sour beer and fruit - he's done way more than I have so I'll just point you over there.

Quote:
do you have to rack onto the fruit in a secondary (which would be an extra 5 carboys to buy) or can you add the fruit to the primary?
I would rack to the secondary (or tertiary) instead of throwing fruit on top of a sour beer for one main reason - oxygen pickup/exposure. After my initial plastic bucket, I minimize oxygen contact as much as possible. I didn't come this far to make vinegar.

Quote:
when do you recommend adding the fruit?
After the primary fermentation is done - that's my practice. I find that gives me the aromatics that I'm looking for. Adding during the primary seems to encourage the fruit aromas to be driven off with fermentation. From there I leave it on fruit until I need it for an event or I get around to bottling. Sometimes this is 6 months, other times it is a year. I have read that traditional lambic blenders/breweries keep the beer on cherries until there is nothing but the pits left. I don't get that crazy, but I definitely do not put a timetable on my beers. The beers will let me know when they are done. This is why I recommend tasting and smelling throughout the entire brewing process and through fermentation.
Old 08-05-2013, 02:42 AM   #137
PintoBean
Hailstorm Brewing Co

Recipes 

Update on my beers. They were all brewed/pitched the same day, so surprised at the variance. First two pics are a lambic with ECY01, and the 3rd is a Flanders with ECY02. The first bucket smells incredibly sour, the other two smell mildly sour. We'll see how thru are in a year, going to rack to secondary this month.

Name:	ForumRunner_20130804_213828.png
Views:	529
Size:	338.4 KB
ID:	139744   Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20130804_213837.png
Views:	511
Size:	357.9 KB
ID:	139745   Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20130804_213846.png
Views:	519
Size:	317.9 KB
ID:	139746  

Old 08-12-2013, 10:43 AM   #138
joshrosborne
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 57

I actually bottled my first batch based on this/BYO recipe on Saturday. I'll give it a couple months and open my first in October before a competition I'll be entering some things in. The last time I brewed a sour, it had an odd cereal grain off flavor after bottling for a couple months. Not sure what caused it, but we'll see if the same happens with this one too.

Can't wait to whip up my next batch!
Secondary/Aging: ECY01 Sour #1, ECY01 Sour #2, The Yeast Bay Melange Sour, Bourbon Barrel Quad
In bottles: Mango sour, Lambic, Brett tripel, Sour brown, Brett L/B Porter
Kegged: Jamil's Sweet Stout with Raspberries, Dry-hopped sour (De Bom), De Bom on tart cherries

Old 09-21-2013, 06:12 PM   #139
MichaelsBrewing
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 6

I brewed 5gal of this up this morning. I am going to ferment primary with US05 and then pitch WLP 653 Lambicus along with some Jolly Pumpkin a Dregs in secondary. The secondary will be racked onto 10 pounds of wild blackberries. I'll post pictures as this progresses. Cheers!

Old 09-24-2013, 05:10 AM   #140
Brewing_on_the_Internet
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Just brewed 10 gallons of this and can't wait to see how this goes. I Don't have Carboys to transfer this into so it'll probably sit in buckets longer than AmandaK's version of the lambic.