Coldbreak Brewing HERMS Giveaway!

HomeBrewSupply AMCYL Brew Kettle Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Hop-less style?

Old 04-17-2012, 08:38 PM   #1
Eckythump
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Hop-less style?

I presume that beer was originally made from just malted grain, without the addition of hops. I'm wondering if there are any styles remaining that don't use any hops?

Old 04-17-2012, 08:43 PM   #2
TyTanium
Recipes 

Liked 551 Times on 388 Posts
Likes Given: 418

Well, there's gruit, but that's replacing hops with other bittering herbs.

Are you talking about malt-only? I.e., everything the same as a normal batch, but no hops?

Old 04-17-2012, 08:46 PM   #3
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2874 Times on 1699 Posts
Likes Given: 3511

If you don't have some sort of preserving agent, such as hops, or the ingredients mentioned in gruit, the "beer" will sour quickly. Hops are the most common, primarily because they work the best over any of the other less common ones.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 04-17-2012, 08:48 PM   #4
Eckythump
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TyTanium View Post
Are you talking about malt-only? I.e., everything the same as a normal batch, but no hops?
Yeah that's what I was wondering.

Old 04-17-2012, 08:49 PM   #5
Eckythump
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy View Post
If you don't have some sort of preserving agent, such as hops, or the ingredients mentioned in gruit, the "beer" will sour quickly. Hops are the most common, primarily because they work the best over any of the other less common ones.
Ah, interesting. Is there a minimum amount of hops required to get the "preservation" quality?

Old 04-17-2012, 08:51 PM   #6
Revvy

Recipes 

Well, think about an american light lager it has only around 8 – 12 IBUs. Barely enough for most folks to detect, yet it doesn't spoil.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 04-17-2012, 08:53 PM   #7
TyTanium
Recipes 

Liked 551 Times on 388 Posts
Likes Given: 418

Revvy - how quick is "quickly"? I've wondered the same thing as Ecky but never tried it because I think hops are tasty

Old 04-17-2012, 08:54 PM   #8
Revvy

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TyTanium View Post
Revvy - how quick is "quickly"? I've wondered the same thing as Ecky but never tried it because I think hops are tasty
I don't know. I do know that if you make starters in the summer the starter beer often goes sour in a couple days, that's why some folks add hops. Hate to try that on 5 gallons.

Boiling alone kills off stuff already in the wort, but doesn't protect it from post boil nasties.

Old 04-17-2012, 09:33 PM   #9
spenghali
Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 5

http://www.gruitale.com/intro_en.htm

Old 04-17-2012, 09:50 PM   #10
drkaeppel
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 141

Quote:
Originally Posted by spenghali View Post
What a great site! Definitely going to give some of those recipes a shot.

"Give a man a beer, he'll drink for the day.Teach a man to brew, he'll be drunk the rest of his life." -Anonymous