Gorilla Growing Hops? - Home Brew Forums
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Hops Growing > Gorilla Growing Hops?
Cool Brewing Giveaway - Supporting Membership Drive & Discount

Old 04-17-2012, 08:50 AM   #1
Swifty
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Sep 2011
Salina, Ks
Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

I am..

A kind member of the brew club brought a bunch of rysomes to the last meeting and I scored a few. Everyone was adamant about how these will go sick on whatever is around them so, I put them out in a local park.

Won't be long and everyone will be able to bitter their beers round here!

Swifty

Old 04-17-2012, 01:16 PM   #2
jessox80
Recipes 

Jul 2011
Norwich, Ct
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Yikes!

Old 04-17-2012, 01:38 PM   #3
RhesusPuffs
Recipes 

Mar 2012

People bring their dogs to parks. Hops are toxic to dogs. You might want to dig them back up.

Old 04-17-2012, 01:43 PM   #4
dwarven_stout
Recipes 

Apr 2009
Boise, ID
Liked 38 Times on 33 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RhesusPuffs View Post
People bring their dogs to parks. Hops are toxic to dogs. You might want to dig them back up.
No. Isomerized hop acids are toxic to some dogs.

Old 04-17-2012, 01:44 PM   #5
rexbanner
Recipes 

Nov 2008
DC
Liked 96 Times on 69 Posts

Quote:
My dog drank a glass of nugget nectar (bad boy!) and he was fine, watched him for a few hours afterwards and nothing happened.

Crooked Run Brewing: Seek Truth, Cherish Nature

Makers of Red Kolsch, Storm, and Shadow of Truth

Old 04-17-2012, 01:50 PM   #6
sweetcell
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Jan 2012
Rockville, MD
Liked 904 Times on 660 Posts

gorilla growing... i like it. let's hope the city/municipality/etc doesn't come by and clean up what they believe is a weed.

humm, now that has me wondering where i could gorilla-plant a few rhizomes next year...

Quote:
Hops are toxic to dogs.
they are toxic to SOME dogs, under SOME conditions (ex: rexbanner's story, among thousands of others).

it's like saying "peanuts are deadly for children"... despite the fact that they aren't for 99% of kids.

Drinking: Mandarina IPA, Ardennes BDSA, apricot golden sour
Carbing: Citra DIPA, 3724 saison, 2 blends of a rye sour: ECY20 + ECY34, local sour cherry kriek #2, brett'ed Belgian blond on raspberries
Aging: sour blond on second-use cherries, English Barleywine (half on brett), 3726 saison w/ brett x2 (dregs mix & Lochristi), sour cherry mead, acerglyn, and a few other sours...

Old 04-17-2012, 01:55 PM   #7
RhesusPuffs
Recipes 

Mar 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetcell
they are toxic to SOME dogs, under SOME conditions (ex: rexbanner's story, among thousands of others).

it's like saying "peanuts are deadly for children"... despite the fact that they aren't for 99% of kids.
Good point, but the OP doesn't control which dogs will be in the area. I love the guerrilla growing idea, I just wouldn't do it in a public park.

Old 04-17-2012, 02:01 PM   #8
brewingmeister
Recipes 

Apr 2009
middle of nowhere
Liked 182 Times on 136 Posts

They will most likely be eaten by a weed eater before a dog has a chance.

Old 04-18-2012, 06:34 AM   #9
Swifty
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Sep 2011
Salina, Ks
Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

I didn't know that they were toxic to dogs.. That's a bit of info I'm glad to have as I have two of my own. The location isn't frequented by dogs; it's fringe at best. I didn't want them to get sprayed with some kind of weed poison. It really shouldn't be an issue for either.

I was thinking about putting some down near some brush that would act as a trellis on a golf course near my house. I love the idea of the gorilla grow; got it from the pot guys. They'll cut an area of corn down under an irrigation pivot and plant a real cash crop in its stead. I'm replacing ragweed with hops.

Old 04-18-2012, 11:51 AM   #10
PJM
Recipes 

Jun 2010
Wheeling, WV
Liked 25 Times on 20 Posts

I've had dogs my whole life and have never had one that ate any growing plant, except occasionally grass. Even the deer in my area which eat almost everything won't eat hops. I don't think you need to worry about dogs.