Magnets for stir plate

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mjmac85

Reaction score
I used the round type, but I purchased them from Ace Hardware. They work good. I would be cautious about using a growler as your vessel because the bottom isn't usually flat, which would make it difficult to balance your stir bar.

I used the round type, but I purchased them from Ace Hardware. They work good. I would be cautious about using a growler as your vessel because the bottom isn't usually flat, which would make it difficult to balance your stir bar.

Just made one last night. I agree that a flask would work better, but it can be done with a growler. The key for me was to get the magnet balanced in the center of the growler when you start it up, as long as I did that it worked pretty well!

I bought .25"x.25" square rare earth magnets and they seem to work fine. The 3/8" discs should be great. You just want to make sure you get the polarity right before you secure them. Make sure one is North and the other is South.

The bar magnets are great if they are magnetized through the length. The one you listed appears to be magnetized through the thickness. That means that one 1"x1/4" surface is North and the opposite is South. This is bad for a stir plate. You would want a bar that is magnetized through the length so one end is North and the other is South. If you don't, then you will probably throw your stir bar.

A great alternative is the magnet from an old or broken computer hard drive. You will need a Torx bit screwdriver, but those magnets are strong and magnetized along the proper axis.

Bought a 25mm stirbar with ring for $6 and 4 magnets for under $5. Prices include shipping. Just need to go to radio shack to get speed control. Don't think I will end up with an on off switch since I can always just unplug it.

Back