HBT 2015 Big Giveaway - Winners Drawn - 24 Hours to Claim!

Huge Supporting Membership Discounts - 20% Off - Ends Today!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Lager Problems...

Old 04-16-2012, 11:08 PM   #1
Righlander
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default Lager Problems...

ok so i recently did my first lager. using wlp820 oktoberfest/marzen yeast. first of all i under pitched. i used 1 vial and only did a 1 liter starter. og was like 1.057. so it's been a week and there's little to no activity. it's sitting at like 50f-52f in the ferm fridge. so i went ahead and ordered 2 more yeast vials. i'm going to try to make a bigger starter as per mrmalty. my question is...is it screwed?

Old 04-16-2012, 11:19 PM   #2
deepcdan99
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 32 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 23

I usually pitch and leave for a day at 65ish, to make sure the yeast are good and active before I drop the temp down. Seems to have worked for me.

Old 04-17-2012, 12:59 AM   #3
stonebrewer
Invented the IPL
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 122 Times on 107 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Righlander View Post
ok so i recently did my first lager. using wlp820 oktoberfest/marzen yeast. first of all i under pitched. i used 1 vial and only did a 1 liter starter. og was like 1.057. so it's been a week and there's little to no activity. it's sitting at like 50f-52f in the ferm fridge. so i went ahead and ordered 2 more yeast vials. i'm going to try to make a bigger starter as per mrmalty. my question is...is it screwed?
Try bumping the temps up a notch. White labs says optimum temp for that is 52-58F and you are at the low end or below:

http://www.whitelabs.com/beer/strains_wlp820.html

My lagers do well if I go by WL's recommendations.

I don't think you are screwed. Give it some more temperature and perhaps pitch more yeast. I do tend to do big starters, but for my first lager I used one vial of WL's yeast without a starter and it had no problems once I got it going at a slightly higher temp, then crashed it to normal fermenting temps. I left it at about 68 for 8-10 hours, then into the lagerer...

Old 04-17-2012, 01:16 AM   #4
bottlebomber
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2713 Times on 2100 Posts
Likes Given: 372

When I make a lager, I make a huge starter, crash it and decant the spent wort, then make a smaller starter that I pitch at high krausen. This works really well. I ferment lagers in the mid 40's using this technique.

Also, I don't know if you've used much lager yeast, but it can be really slow to wake up from the package compared to a ale yeast. The first time I used one I thought it was a dud because after 2 days the gravity hadn't dropped in my starter. I think your beer will be fine, just make sure you do it properly in the future.

Old 04-17-2012, 03:35 PM   #5
Righlander
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by bottlebomber View Post
When I make a lager, I make a huge starter, crash it and decant the spent wort, then make a smaller starter that I pitch at high krausen. This works really well. I ferment lagers in the mid 40's using this technique.

Also, I don't know if you've used much lager yeast, but it can be really slow to wake up from the package compared to a ale yeast. The first time I used one I thought it was a dud because after 2 days the gravity hadn't dropped in my starter. I think your beer will be fine, just make sure you do it properly in the future.
very helpful. thanks. i'm going to try your starter method