Coldbreak Brewing HERMS Giveaway!

HomeBrewSupply AMCYL Brew Kettle Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Single Hop APA

Old 04-16-2012, 08:58 PM   #1
mcnewcp
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default Single Hop APA

Hey guys,

I want to start making some single hop APAs to really be able to investigate certain hops, also they can be amazing in a simple flavor sort of way (have you ever tried Zombie Dust by 3 floyds?). I'm trying to line out a generic grain bill that I'll use for each and hop schedule and was wondering if anybody else had already done this.

Thanks.

Primary: French/American Farmhouse, ECY20 Lambic
Secondary: Flanders Red
Kegged: Brett Cust Citra Pale Ale, Galaxy/HBC342 Wheat IPA
Bottled: Falconers Flight Farmhouse, 1 yr Blueberry Sour, 2 yr Berliner Weisse

Old 04-17-2012, 12:16 AM   #2
mbobhat
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 37 Times on 34 Posts
Likes Given: 307

Don't forget Bell's dude. That stuff is why I'm growing centennial hops.

What's your grain bill? I'm looking to do an APA as well. I've got some amber malt, and I think I'll add a bit of Victory, and pale the rest.

I might do an all chinook, with the chance of a slight different finishing hop combo, like crystal. (its what I got handy)

Old 04-17-2012, 12:49 AM   #3
bnilguy
Recipes 

Likes Given: 2

I keep it pretty simple and make it all about the hops. All pale with a couple pounds of vienna or a pound of munich, and about a pound of lightish crystal (10 to 40) for 5 gals.

I like to make 2.5 gal batches for my single hop APAs. Had good luck with Simcoe, Amarillo, and have some Summit in the primary now

Old 04-17-2012, 02:16 PM   #4
TyTanium
Recipes 

Liked 551 Times on 388 Posts
Likes Given: 418

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnilguy View Post
I keep it pretty simple and make it all about the hops. All pale with a couple pounds of vienna or a pound of munich, and about a pound of lightish crystal (10 to 40) for 5 gals.
Agree with your first statement (keep it simple), but not your second (a pound of crystal - too much, IMO).

Use a good base malt - Pale Ale, Maris Otter or even Munich. Maybe some amber malt if you like it malty. Use crystal sparingly, imo.

Old 04-17-2012, 08:16 PM   #5
LowNotes
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I made a SMaSh recently with Pale 2-row and 3oz of Willamette Hops recently, and it turned out much better than I expected. I forgot the 1oz I meant to dry hop with, so it had 1oz at 60, 1oz at 20, and 1oz at 10. It ended up with a really nice hop flavor, and had more aroma than a Cascade SMaSH I did 2 weeks prior that I remembered to dry hop.

Old 04-18-2012, 01:32 AM   #6
TimBrewz
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 44 Times on 37 Posts
Likes Given: 69

My brew club is doing an APA single wort challenge; making 25 gallons of wort in single kettle, then draining 5 gallons to each brewers smaller kettle each brewer then chooses how to hop and what yeast to use. I am doing Simcoe and Crystal hops.

Grain Bill: we are not big crystal malt fans and have moved to mashing a bit higher to get the sweetness and mouthfeel from base malts. Here is the grain bill, it is a very solid APA bill. 8.5 SRM

50% Pale Ale malt
30% Vienna Malt
20% Munich malt

Mash at 155

Old 04-18-2012, 01:19 PM   #7
mbobhat
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 37 Times on 34 Posts
Likes Given: 307

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimBrewz View Post
My brew club is doing an APA single wort challenge; making 25 gallons of wort in single kettle, then draining 5 gallons to each brewers smaller kettle each brewer then chooses how to hop and what yeast to use. I am doing Simcoe and Crystal hops.

Grain Bill: we are not big crystal malt fans and have moved to mashing a bit higher to get the sweetness and mouthfeel from base malts. Here is the grain bill, it is a very solid APA bill. 8.5 SRM

50% Pale Ale malt
30% Vienna Malt
20% Munich malt

Mash at 155
Are you planning on First Wort Hopping the Crystal? Just wondering cause I'm using Crystal and Chinook

Old 04-18-2012, 01:58 PM   #8
TimBrewz
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbobhat View Post
Are you planning on First Wort Hopping the Crystal? Just wondering cause I'm using Crystal and Chinook
I might FWH with Crystal Hops. I love the results I get with FWH on my IPAs and hoppy Reds. I have never used them before, and just opened the package to give them the smell test....great aroma! I really think they are more like a Northwest hop than a Continental hop(Cascade/Hallertaur heritage). Seems like a lighter, brighter Cascade. Anyway, FWH is a good idea, and I might add a 1/2 oz at that stage.

Old 04-19-2012, 04:06 AM   #9
mcnewcp
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbobhat View Post
What's your grain bill?
The grain bill I'm planning on going with is:

85% US 2-row
6% Munich
6% Victory
3% Wheat

I, too, am not a huge fan of crystal.

As far as the hop bill, I've really wanted to do some brews with only late addition hops, like I hear Jamil talk about sometimes, link.

I was thinking additions at 20, 10, 0 to get about 40 IBUs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimBrewz View Post
I might FWH with Crystal Hops. I love the results I get with FWH on my IPAs and hoppy Reds.
I've never tried a FWH but I want to. What exactly are the advantages of a FWH over a 60 minute addition?

Primary: French/American Farmhouse, ECY20 Lambic
Secondary: Flanders Red
Kegged: Brett Cust Citra Pale Ale, Galaxy/HBC342 Wheat IPA
Bottled: Falconers Flight Farmhouse, 1 yr Blueberry Sour, 2 yr Berliner Weisse

Old 04-19-2012, 04:30 AM   #10
TimBrewz
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Looks good! Nice biscuit note with Victory.

First Wort Hopping, from what I have experienced is that the flavor and some aroma from the bittering hops get "locked in" at sub-boiling temps as the wort is collected and heated to boil. My reading indicates that the chemistry behind this is not fully understood. Some feel that the perceived IBU contribution of FWH actually decreases to similar to a 20 minute addition, while others report a slight increase in bitterness as compared to a standard 60 or 90 minute addition. In my experience, FWH-ing about a dozen times, is that I notice a small decrease in bittering, and a notable increase in the flavor of the hops used for FWH. I use a lot of Simcoe for bittering, which is a great flavor and aroma hop. When I FWH with Simcoe I get some of the flavor and aroma in the finished beer that would just boil off in a normal 60 minute addition. Many brewers use a portion of the late addition hops as a FWH, then bitter as normal with a high alpha bittering hop. So, with a single hop APA, you can multi-task your hops with FWH; bittering,flavor and aroma.

Reason: Beer induced run-on sentences and other grammatical sins.