Keg Connection New Inline Flow Control Valve Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Brew Stands > Arduino questions (mash temp controller)
Old 04-15-2012, 06:20 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Liked 18 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 37

Default Arduino questions (mash temp controller)

I am working on an Arduino based mash temperature controller. I have an Arduino UNO R3, RGB Shield Kit, TMP36 Analog Temp. Sensor, a solid state relay and Bucket Heater.

What I would like to do is have the buttons on the RGB Shield Kit control the mash temperature and mash time. I want to use them to set these parameters and then use the select button to begin the mash. I am not sure how to program the Arduino to take the user input. I can pre-program it to that days desired settings, but I would really like to be able to change it with the buttons on the shield. Thanks!

Add more hops! Always add more hops
Old 04-15-2012, 07:19 PM   #2
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I think you will just want to use this library to control the LCD/buttons. There is an example in the examples folder .... but you would basically take the example and replace the button logic with your logic to raise/lower temps.

Primary: Empty
Secondary: Empty
Lagering: Helles Gutbier
Bottled: Empty
Kegged: Fox River Trail IPA, Pink Elephant Delerium Clone, Apricot Belgian Wit IV, So Kolsch, Belgian Slut IPA
On Deck: Apricot Belgian Wit V, Blueberry Sherry, Marzen, Noble Pils, Munich Helles

My Ditches Build
Old 06-12-2012, 03:24 AM   #3
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I was originally trying to do the same thing by using buttons to provide the input, but I decided I didn't want to do the programming for it so I now use potentiometers and the map() function to dial my input times and temp. I just found it much easier than trying to get the buttons to be inputs.
Planned: ESB / Düsseldorfer Alt
Primary: Ginger beer
Secondary: Helles
Kegged/Drinking: N/A

Hau weg die Scheisse!
Old 06-12-2012, 02:53 PM   #4
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

If you're looking for some better accuracy, you should consider a one-wire digital temp sensor. There won't be any line loss and it's pretty cool to get your temperature digitally.