Help Me Stock a Local BMC Bar! - Home Brew Forums

Register Now!
Home Brew Forums > Brewing Events & Local Gatherings > Great Lakes Homebrew Forum > Help Me Stock a Local BMC Bar!

Old 04-15-2012, 04:31 PM   #1
eanmcnulty

Recipes 

Sep 2009
Addison, IL
Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

The owner of a bar here in the Western suburbs of Chicago has asked me what kinds of craft beer he could bring into his bar. The bar is a local blue collar hangout: sports, hot wings, TVís, and a lot of BMC. He has six taps with Guiness, Spaten Oktoberfest, Lite, and a couple other BMC something-or-other. He had Goose 312 which he just switched to Summer Shandy.

Aside from a couple Mexican beers, and Sierra Nevada Pale Ale, everything in bottles is BMC. I told him the only difference between all those bottles is that they have different labels. Ha!

I donít see many of the regulars changing to craft beer, and I donít want the owner to get discouraged with craft beer that doesnít sell. When I go in there for a burger or to watch the Hawks I usually drink Spaten or Sierra Nevada. It would be nice for those of us who find ourselves in a local bar to have at least a small selection of good beer. I told him he could get a case of some different beer, and that wouldnít cost much. He probably isnít going to give up a tap just yet.

It is in our best interest to get bars like these to start stocking SOME craft beer, so, I am looking for a list of some beer that you think would help this bar out. Local would be good. A variety would be good.

Let me know what you think.

Old 04-17-2012, 04:16 AM   #2
eanmcnulty

Recipes 

Sep 2009
Addison, IL
Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

Not one person?

Old 04-20-2012, 01:57 AM   #3
koch711
Recipes 

Feb 2012
Chicag, IL

Local I'd recommend Half Acre Daisy Cutter and Gossamer, Goose Island 312, Honkers Ale, and IPA. All pretty easy drinking and reasonably priced. Two Brothers Prairie Path would be a good one as well and a gluten free option for people with gluten issues.

Old 04-20-2012, 02:04 AM   #4
markoz13
Recipes 

Apr 2012

How about anything from Lagunita's, since they are going to put a brewery on the south side of Chicago!!! I think 18th & Western.

Old 04-21-2012, 11:23 PM   #5
barneygumble
Recipes 

Apr 2012
Pittsfield, MA
Liked 18 Times on 16 Posts

I dont know from local but a seasonal sampler from Sierra Nevada should do ok. Their summerfest is a nice light lager with just a bit more abu's than they are used to in a bar like that.

Old 04-22-2012, 02:03 PM   #6
eanmcnulty

Recipes 

Sep 2009
Addison, IL
Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

Thanks for the recommendations, guys!