Ss Brewtech’s Biggest Baddest Holiday Giveaway Ever!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Orange zest in honey-orange-wheat
Old 04-15-2012, 12:05 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Likes Given: 1

Default Orange zest in honey-orange-wheat

I brewed a honey-wheat beer about two weeks ago and added the zest from three medium oranges along with about 1.5 ounces of crushed coriander @ five minutes. I tasted a hydrometer sample, and the orange flavor is completely buried by the coriander.

My plan is to boil another 3 oranges worth of zest in a small amount of water and ading that for a few more days before I bottle

I was also considering squeezing the juice from at least one of the oranges directly into the beer. It's a higher ABV wheat (about 7%), so I'm not terribly concerned about contaminating the beer. I am however worried about what might happen when the orange juice ferments... I've heard fermented orange juice tastes like vomit.

I was also considering soaking the zest in vodka for a week or so, and adding the orange "extract" at bottling.

Any suggestions? Should I just add the zest, or do the juice too?