Scheduling help - Home Brew Forums
Register Now For Free!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Scheduling help

Thread Tools
Old 04-14-2012, 05:52 PM   #1
Oct 2011
Kingston, Jamaica
Posts: 200
Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I'm going to be brewing a dogfish head 60 minute clone next. My problem is sorting out timing as i will be traveling intermittently over the next few months so if I wait until I have a clear 3-4 week stretch I won't start it for the next couple of months at the earliest. I had a recipe from clone brews that was adapted upon advice from lhbs (happy to post recipe if it makes any difference to recommendations below).

Clone brews says 1 week primary, move to secondary to dry hop and bottle when fermentation is complete.
Lhbs says 1 week in primary, dry hop for a week then move to secondary for a week.

I see I have a few options.

1) I can wait until I am settled for a while (not ideal as I won't start it for almost 2 months).
2) I can do 2.5 weeks split between primary and secondary based on how people think I should split it. This could work for clone brews option but seems a bit short.
3) I can do 4.5 weeks split between primary and secondary but if I move it it need's to be done in the first 2.5 weeks.
4) I can do >6 weeks split between primary and secondary but if I move it it need's to be done in the first 2.5 weeks or at 4.5 weeks

They will bottle condition if that makes any difference. I know there is debate about whether a secondary is needed so I'm happy to leave it in primary for whole time if that is recommended but I seem to recall people saying move to secondary if dry hopping. Don't want to start the primary/secondary argument again, hso appy to go with consensus (or one of the HBT gurus recommendations!).

What do people think?

Thanks in advance.

Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 06:40 PM   #2
helibrewer's Avatar
Nov 2011
Santa Rosa, CA
Posts: 3,813
Liked 326 Times on 275 Posts

Probably the most critical period is being able to get the dry hops out after 7-10 can sit in primary as long as you need it to, then work your 2 week availability around the start and end of dry hopping.
Something is always fermenting....
"It's Bahl Hornin'"

Kegged: Bourbon Barrel Imperial Stout
On Deck: German Lager

Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 06:47 PM   #3
BBL_Brewer's Avatar
Feb 2011
Kokomo, IN
Posts: 3,702
Liked 440 Times on 303 Posts

I agree. Drop the secondary and schedule your brew around being there for dry hopping. It helps to be around for the first couple days of primary too though. In case you get some blow off or some other event that needs attended to. After 2 or 3 days it can sit patiently and wait.
Slots Down Brewery
Stick with the plan....not the sparge.

Never Ending Liquid Yeast - How to Farm Yeast and Freeze it.

Reply With Quote
Thread Tools

Forum Jump