5 gallon buckets advertised as "food storage" - Home Brew Forums
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > 5 gallon buckets advertised as "food storage"

Old 04-14-2012, 04:58 PM   #1
cannman
Beer Theorist
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Mar 2012
Manzanar, CA
Liked 483 Times on 335 Posts

My local Winco grocer is selling white (semi translucent) food storage buckets (5 gallons) with a recycle # 2 on the bottom which is the same number on the bottom of my fermenting bucket. Can I use this for fermenting? Do I want to??

-c

Old 04-14-2012, 05:00 PM   #2
bigbeergeek
Recipes 

Sep 2008
Visalia, CA
Liked 122 Times on 100 Posts

Your sure can. I bought one from my local winco for the exact same purpose. I wish they were larger (say, 6.5 gallons) so I could do a proper 5 gallon primary fermentation in one of them.

Old 04-14-2012, 05:07 PM   #3
cannman
Beer Theorist
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Mar 2012
Manzanar, CA
Liked 483 Times on 335 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbeergeek
Your sure can. I bought one from my local winco for the exact same purpose. I wish they were larger (say, 6.5 gallons) so I could do a proper 5 gallon primary fermentation in one of them.
Great! I guess just drill and insert bubbler! Hmmm. I'm thinking perhaps aim for a 10gal batch and split between the two... I mean, how else does one ferment larger batches...?

Old 04-14-2012, 05:11 PM   #4
bigbeergeek
Recipes 

Sep 2008
Visalia, CA
Liked 122 Times on 100 Posts

Right, but the problem is trying to fit 5 gallons of beer in a 5 gallon bucket. There isn't any headspace for the krausen during primary fermentation and yeast will be flying out of your airlock or blowoff. You can buy two and spilt a 5 gallon batch between the two or brew up as much as 8 gallons, splitting around 4 gallons per 5 gallon bucket.

Old 04-14-2012, 05:13 PM   #5
H-ost
Recipes 

Jul 2011
Bellevue, WA
Liked 72 Times on 53 Posts

Splitting them into separate fermenters like you said, or there are large enough fermenters out there you can use. You can find random buckets or totes with 10-60 gallon capacities. Many companies make conical fermenters with larger capacities as well. I split my 10 gallons, it also allows you to experiment with different yeasts or post boil additions with identical beers.