Coldbreak Brewing HERMS Giveaway!

HomeBrewSupply AMCYL Brew Kettle Giveaway!


Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Brooklyn Brew Shop Everyday IPA Kit Tips
Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 12-19-2012, 02:40 AM   #191
n00b
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 9
Likes Given: 2

Default

Going to be trying this kit for the first time on Sunday. Never used Brooklyn Brew tomorrow. I tried a Mr. Beer kit but the beer was way over-carbed. (I know this is way more involved.) I plan on adding honey during bottling like the instructions lay out. I've also read on some other forums that people thought their IPA from this kit turned out a little over-carbed. Any suggestions you guys can give to make sure its not too carbonated? I'd rather it have less carbonation than too much.

Any advice would be awesome! Thanks!


n00b is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 11:02 AM   #192
Calichusetts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Plymouth, MA
Posts: 2,760
Liked 423 Times on 248 Posts
Likes Given: 983

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by n00b View Post
Going to be trying this kit for the first time on Sunday. Never used Brooklyn Brew tomorrow. I tried a Mr. Beer kit but the beer was way over-carbed. (I know this is way more involved.) I plan on adding honey during bottling like the instructions lay out. I've also read on some other forums that people thought their IPA from this kit turned out a little over-carbed. Any suggestions you guys can give to make sure its not too carbonated? I'd rather it have less carbonation than too much.

Any advice would be awesome! Thanks!
Use two FULL tablespoons instead of the three they suggest. I've moved in this direction with honey over the past few months and have really like the results. I think they are implying that you use 3 tablespoons to carb 1 gallon of beer to around 2.5 vols. But you are usually bottling .8-.9 gallons, so you are already getting towards 3 vols which is high for most types of beers


Calichusetts is offline
n00b Likes This 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 02:09 PM   #193
n00b
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 9
Likes Given: 2

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calichusetts View Post
Use two FULL tablespoons instead of the three they suggest. I've moved in this direction with honey over the past few months and have really like the results. I think they are implying that you use 3 tablespoons to carb 1 gallon of beer to around 2.5 vols. But you are usually bottling .8-.9 gallons, so you are already getting towards 3 vols which is high for most types of beers
Thanks for the feedback. Makes sense. I purchased an auto-siphon to try to cut down on lost beer in the bottling process. Have also purchased a hydrometer to help determine ABV. Would you recommend 3 weeks for fermentation like others have before bottling instead of the 2 suggested?

For using the hydrometer, I don't have a spigot on my fermenter, so after 2-3 weeks, will it hurt if I unscrew the top and quickly use the auto siphon to get a bit of the beer in the test jar?
n00b is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 02:22 PM   #194
Calichusetts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Plymouth, MA
Posts: 2,760
Liked 423 Times on 248 Posts
Likes Given: 983

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by n00b View Post
Thanks for the feedback. Makes sense. I purchased an auto-siphon to try to cut down on lost beer in the bottling process. Have also purchased a hydrometer to help determine ABV. Would you recommend 3 weeks for fermentation like others have before bottling instead of the 2 suggested?

For using the hydrometer, I don't have a spigot on my fermenter, so after 2-3 weeks, will it hurt if I unscrew the top and quickly use the auto siphon to get a bit of the beer in the test jar?
Just wait three weeks and you'll be fine...take a sample as you bottle. Good job on the auto-siphon, wish I had one during my first batch.

Wait three weeks after bottling, keep it at 70 degrees or higher. I usually wait 4 but its a personal preference.
Calichusetts is offline
n00b Likes This 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 07:59 PM   #195
n00b
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 9
Likes Given: 2

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calichusetts View Post
Just wait three weeks and you'll be fine...take a sample as you bottle. Good job on the auto-siphon, wish I had one during my first batch.

Wait three weeks after bottling, keep it at 70 degrees or higher. I usually wait 4 but its a personal preference.
Only reason I knew to use the auto-siphon was this thread.

One other question when it comes to the honey. I read a few other reviews of this kit that said using the honey left a lot of unfermented sugar and residual honey taste in the IPA that took away from the taste of an IPA. These posters wished they had used table or corn sugar. Any opinion on that or do you think that was exactly what you explained earlier with potentially too much honey originally called for in the recipe?
n00b is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 08:15 PM   #196
dbsmith
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Seattle, Wa
Posts: 413
Liked 27 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 24

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevedore View Post
I should ask, is it better for a beer to be undercarbonated rather than overcarbonated? I.e. is it better to err on the side of too little priming sugar or too much?
I would rather have my beers overcarbonated rather than undercarbonated. Undercarbonated is much more difficult to fix if you've bottled your beer already. If it is overcarbonated, you can easily let out a bit of pressure from the bottles and re-crimp them. You can also just swirl your beer a bit in the glass or let it sit for a minute.
dbsmith is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 04:24 PM   #197
matta2k
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 4
Default

I brewed my first batch with this kit yesterday. This morning I checked on the fermenter and found that it had expelled a good portion of air and liquid into the bowl of sanitizer solution, so much so that it overflowed during the night. I cleaned the mess and replaced the bowl, but it's still pumping out a good portion of air--my beer along with it. What started as 1 gallons is now down to 3/4. It shows no signs of slowing down. Should I be concerned? Should I replace the voided liquid with extra water?

Thanks.

EDIT: I think I've solved my own problem. Some further research online produced a solution: the tube is not supposed to touch the liquid. That makes sense now that I think about it, but I was reading the instructions and no where did it say that. It was actually depicted in a diagram, but I ignore diagrams because words > pictures. Oh, well. Live and learn.
matta2k is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 06:28 PM   #198
n00b
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 9
Likes Given: 2

Default

Just used the kit this morning. Some things that may lead to inconsistencies later:

During sparge, my 7.5" mesh strainer was not big enough for all of the malts. Because of this, I had to do two "groups" of malt, one after another, in the strainer. This caused my beer to sit out a little long before returning everything to a boil.

Cool down took right around half an hour. When pouring through funnel and filter, noticed a lot of sentiment. Is that normal before pitching yeast? I should have been more careful, did notice a little bit of the sentiment made it into the fermenter. Spilled a good bit during this phase (too small of a funnel), so ended up having to add about 1/4 gallon of water at the end.

Biggest issue has been getting the tube to stay in the sanitized water now that it is in the fermenter.

Will keep everyone posted.

Plan on leaving it for 3 weeks in primary.
n00b is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 12:37 AM   #199
n00b
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 9
Likes Given: 2

Default

Well, I've been gone for 2 days and the tube that was in the sanitized water dish came out and was sitting on the table instead of in the dish. Is that going to ruin the batch? I've since put the airlock on.
n00b is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 09:57 PM   #200
n00b
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 9
Likes Given: 2

Default

I've also noticed that my air lock is not bubbling at all. Does look like any bubbling going on in the fermenter either. Has been about 80 hours since brewing. Should I be concerned?


n00b is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools



Forum Jump

Newest Threads

LATEST SPONSOR DEALS