Oxygenation required? - Home Brew Forums

Register Now!
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Oxygenation required?

Old 04-13-2012, 10:40 PM   #1
Jun 2011
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

If I am pouring a new batch of wort over an existing yeast cake from a previous batch, do I need to aerate / oxygenate?

I thought that oxygen was needed only to help with yeast reproduction, and not the actual fermentation process... so since I am putting new wort onto what is probably an over-pitching quantity of yeast, why would I need to oxygenate?

Thanks for any replies, I'll be pouring the wort in about 2 hours...

Old 04-13-2012, 10:57 PM   #2
Feb 2011
Kokomo, IN
Liked 440 Times on 303 Posts

No, you really wouldn't. However, you will better off sticking closer to a proper pitching rate than to grossly overpitch. I've done the yeast cake thing and wasn't really happy with the results. Why not harvest the cake and just repitch what you need? Mr. Malty has a tab for repitching from slurry.
Slots Down Brewery
Stick with the plan....not the sparge.

Never Ending Liquid Yeast - How to Farm Yeast and Freeze it.

Old 04-14-2012, 02:23 AM   #3
Jul 2011
Va Beach, VA
Liked 128 Times on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by BBL_Brewer
Why not harvest the cake and just repitch what you need? Mr. Malty has a tab for repitching from slurry.
Amen! Been doing that pretty much since I went all-grain & have had great anecdotal success. Haven't gotten my BJCP score sheets back, but my fermentations have been increasingly on point using the rep itched amounts according to mrmalty.
Piratwolf: "I've heard that Belgian Blondes can be "panty droppers" but they're not particularly high IBU nor cheap."

jmendez29: Haha! I get it! :ban:
Wait. You're not talking about beer, right?
You're talking about beer. That could have been a whole lot more fun.

Old 04-14-2012, 02:46 AM   #4
Mar 2010
Liked 629 Times on 551 Posts

Yes, you should still aerate. If you don't aerate, you will not get any new yeast, and the old yeast may not be up to completing fermentation.

..... That is one of the problems with 'Over-pitching' is that you don't get many new yeast cells and the beer can stall before finishing. You will also get less flavor esters, and possibly more fusel alcohols.

As noted by others, just take a part of the cake and ferment normally. My rule-of-thumb, is to use about 1/4 th of the cake for a similar gravity beer.