Anyone using a 6" vortex inline with a 4" reducer? - Home Brew Forums
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Electric Brewing > Anyone using a 6" vortex inline with a 4" reducer?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 04-13-2012, 06:58 PM   #1
sethhobrin
Recipes 
 
Jan 2012
Oak Creek, WI
Posts: 135
Liked 3 Times on 1 Posts



I was all set to start ducting. My plan was to use a 6" inline vortex fan with a 6" to 4" reducer right at output side of the fan that will be attached to 4" PVC pipe.

I was planning to use 6" ducting elbow from the fan to the hood.

Then the HD guy told me that I was loose too many CFM reducing to 4"

Anyone else doing this? Will I loose too much CFM reducing to 4" form 6"?

6" PVC is not at the big box stores and its kind of... big....

here is a link to a picture in my build thread. http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f170/jus...ml#post3978218

 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 07:23 PM   #2
jfrizzell
Recipes 
 
Jun 2007
Iowa
Posts: 686
Liked 12 Times on 10 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by sethhobrin View Post
I was all set to start ducting. My plan was to use a 6" inline vortex fan with a 6" to 4" reducer right at output side of the fan that will be attached to 4" PVC pipe.

I was planning to use 6" ducting elbow from the fan to the hood.

Then the HD guy told me that I was loose too many CFM reducing to 4"

Anyone else doing this? Will I loose too much CFM reducing to 4" form 6"?

6" PVC is not at the big box stores and its kind of... big....

here is a link to a picture in my build thread. http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f170/jus...ml#post3978218
I recommend checking out this site:

http://www.freecalc.com/ductloss.htm

This will let you enter your duct length / size and the number of reducers and elbows and it will tell you how much loss you'll have.
__________________
Primary: Pliney the Elder Clone
Kegged: Tank 7 / Saison Brett

http://untappd.com/abbayeduchatnoir

 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 07:24 PM   #3
dienster
Recipes 
 
Nov 2011
Raleigh, NC
Posts: 62

Stick with 6 if you can. 4" will halve your flow rate. Have you looked into metal ducting?

 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 07:26 PM   #4
sethhobrin
Recipes 
 
Jan 2012
Oak Creek, WI
Posts: 135
Liked 3 Times on 1 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by dienster View Post
Stick with 6 if you can. 4" will halve your flow rate. Have you looked into metal ducting?
I have but then I gotta buy crimping tool and cutter which looked like $75 bucks! Looks like I'll just have to suck it up.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 07:29 PM   #5
dienster
Recipes 
 
Nov 2011
Raleigh, NC
Posts: 62

Quote:
Originally Posted by sethhobrin View Post
I have but then I gotta buy crimping tool and cutter which looked like $75 bucks!
Self-tapping screws, tin snips and some aluminum tape should be all you need. I've only worked with it replacing my cooktop so may be wrong.

I think you can get pre-crimped on one side if you don't have to run it too far.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 07:42 PM   #6
sethhobrin
Recipes 
 
Jan 2012
Oak Creek, WI
Posts: 135
Liked 3 Times on 1 Posts


thanks. looks like another trip to HD is in order! 6" galvanized ducting instead of PVC it is!

 
Reply With Quote


Reply
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Ebay Temp Controller Displaying "HHH"- mikelikesit2000 Electric Brewing 6 02-23-2012 04:05 PM
"The hot tub superstore" - are they a good company to deal with? NoCornOrRice Electric Brewing 0 02-14-2012 02:31 PM
circut breakers "C" or "D" trip curve mateomtb Electric Brewing 2 09-22-2011 12:05 AM
How do I do this?..."simple switch controled burners" mikelikesit2000 Electric Brewing 8 07-21-2011 12:25 PM
Are "Magnetic Definite Contactors" same as relays terrazza Electric Brewing 8 03-05-2011 12:51 AM


Forum Jump