Ss Brewtech’s Biggest Baddest Holiday Giveaway Ever!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Other > I need your DIY Project!
Old 05-02-2012, 04:25 AM   #31
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Liked 12 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Originally Posted by buckley28 View Post
Using the STC-1000
I did experience some issues w/ the high temps we recently experienced in North Cal over the past weekend. 90 degrees outside and the chamber was not able to hold the inside temp at 66 like I had anticipated. What I think was the problem was I had an exterior piece of plywood that was covering the back of the fridge. I have since taken that piece of plywood off and all seems well so far. But we're back to about 62 degrees here and expect high to mid 80's over the weekend so we'll see what happens. A good way to help ease the strain on the compressor in the fridge is to wire a fan on the same circuit as the fridge so that it turns on directly facing the compressor when the fridge turns on. That way your cooling off the and allowing airflow to the compressor so it does not overheat.
Yeah, I had a similar problem and wasn't able to get into the 50's like I was hoping for lagering. Some of it was cost restrictions and the freezer I'm using and also that I still need to foam insulate the holes where water tubes enter each chamber. Like you said though, 66 is still very good and brings ale temps into a consistant range--regardless of outside ambient temp. That is worth it alone.

I haven't gotten your pics and build written up yet, but I plan to soon.

Thanks again for sharing.