Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > 10 Gallon Extract

Old 04-13-2012, 07:29 AM   #1
legend
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default 10 Gallon Extract

Hi i bought two NB deadringer IPA extract kits and i wanted to do a 10 gallon batch in my keggle. Do i just follow the recipe and double the ingredients? Also how much water do i need to use to yield 10 gallons. This is a full boil in a keggle

Old 04-13-2012, 12:29 PM   #2
duboman
Recipes 

Liked 505 Times on 467 Posts
Likes Given: 226

If you bought two identical kits you can just combine them, essentially doubling the batch to 10 gallons.

As for how much water, if you know what volume you need to get the 5G, I'll assume your boil off will be the same as a 5G, you won't evaporate twice as much water just because you are boiling more wort

Old 04-16-2012, 08:57 AM   #3
legend
Recipes 

I read somewhere that you don't use the same amount of hops to to utilization? Also this is my first time using a 15 gallon keggle, so i wanted to start with the right amount of water to get 10 gallons after the boil. The kits directions are for a 5 gallon partial boil where you start with 3 gallons then add 2 gallons of pure water to the carboy to get the 5 gallons, but i want to do a full boil to yield 10 gallons.

Old 04-16-2012, 02:17 PM   #4
Camride
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I believe there are some calculators out there to figure out how much boil off you'll have, not sure if you need Beer Smith or if there are online calculators (I'm still doing partials). If you're doing a 60 minute boil I'm guessing you'll boil off around 1.5-2 gallons though.
Up Next - Trappist, Imperial Irish Red

All extract for now but making plans for the AG switch.

Old 04-16-2012, 02:28 PM   #5
duboman
Recipes 

Liked 505 Times on 467 Posts
Likes Given: 226

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camride View Post
I believe there are some calculators out there to figure out how much boil off you'll have, not sure if you need Beer Smith or if there are online calculators (I'm still doing partials). If you're doing a 60 minute boil I'm guessing you'll boil off around 1.5-2 gallons though.
Many factors go into this calculation like if you are outside, inside, humidity, wind, etc. I boil outside in a 10G kettle that is as wide as it is tall. I will average 1.5 G of boil off. The other thing to consider is the vigor of your boil.

Old 04-16-2012, 02:34 PM   #6
Raenon
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 57 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by legend View Post
I read somewhere that you don't use the same amount of hops to to utilization? Also this is my first time using a 15 gallon keggle, so i wanted to start with the right amount of water to get 10 gallons after the boil. The kits directions are for a 5 gallon partial boil where you start with 3 gallons then add 2 gallons of pure water to the carboy to get the 5 gallons, but i want to do a full boil to yield 10 gallons.
Read a brief discussion the other day on the real differences between homebrewing scale and micro/macro scales, and the suggestion was that hop utilization doesn't change appreciably until you're at least in multi-barrel volumes, or more. I also understood the reason to actually be increased efficiencies by their process and equipment, rather than simply volume.

So, perhaps if you're making an exceptionally hoppy brew you could lower by an ounce or two, but if the difference would only be a quarter ounce in 10 gallons... would you even notice without a side-by-side?

Old 04-18-2012, 03:32 AM   #7
legend
Recipes 

What is a typical starting volume for a 10 gallon batch in a keggle? I am boiling outside with a bayou sp 10 burner

Old 04-18-2012, 05:07 AM   #8
BW210
Recipes 

I just did a full boil in a 15 gallon pot starting with 12 gallons outside on a turkey fryer. I did a 40 minute steep of grain and a 60 minute boil. I racked just under 10 gallons split into 2 carboys.