Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Fermenters > 3 section fermentation chamber with ebay temp controller

Old 08-03-2012, 01:12 PM   #41
broadbill
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 338 Times on 237 Posts
Likes Given: 251

Quote:
Originally Posted by barryfine View Post

I apologize, but it sounds to me that you are just looking or excuses to not start your fermentation chamber build. I would encourage you to try the second design I put together. It was cheap and quick and easy.
No apologies, but I use a 5cf chest freezer with Ranco as a ferm. chamber. It was double the price of your build (but was it really when you take into account labor it took for you to build?), but I know it works. Also, I got the chest freezer new....if I bought used I'm sure my method would have come it at equivalent price to yours (cheaper when you count the labor that went into yours)

Hey, I'm all for DIY stuff if for no other reason than to do it. It's just that I at the end of it all I want to have a workable product. My point was that I'm not sure that these DIY large-capacity ferm. chambers fit that bill most of the time, and I wanted to point that out to other folks considering this build.

Old 08-03-2012, 02:18 PM   #42
vinper
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts

Mine works great and its in a steel shop no a/c in Houston. I lager and I can take it down to freezing if needed. I was having a problem with the coil starting to freeze up over time and had to extend the compressor time delay to 7 min.. Was definatly not cheap and lot of man hrs ,but i like to create things. When you do stuff like this there is a learning curve and you dont forget your lessons, and they apply to the next project or other equipment in your household...

Click image for larger version

Name:	cutting up 002.JPG
Views:	173
Size:	106.7 KB
ID:	70568  
barryfine Likes This 
Old 08-03-2012, 02:33 PM   #43
broadbill
Recipes 

Liked 338 Times on 237 Posts
Likes Given: 251

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinper View Post
Mine works great and its in a steel shop no a/c in Houston. I lager and I can take it down to freezing if needed. I was having a problem with the coil starting to freeze up over time and had to extend the compressor time delay to 7 min.. Was definatly not cheap and lot of man hrs ,but i like to create things. When you do stuff like this there is a learning curve and you dont forget your lessons, and they apply to the next project or other equipment in your household...
what is your refrigeration source for it?

Old 08-03-2012, 06:55 PM   #44
vinper
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts

See that fridge behind it,here's the build http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/icebox-315476/