Straining Extract Brew - Home Brew Forums
Register Now For Free!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Straining Extract Brew

Old 04-12-2012, 04:52 PM   #1
kevinb

Recipes 

Mar 2012
, MA
Liked 35 Times on 29 Posts

I plan to use a SS kitchen strainer to filter my wort on its way into my primary carboy. I found one that fits on top of my funnel. I was hoping it would filter some of the Hops etc. Is there any risk or decrease in flavor or quality? I don't want to sacrifice taste or quality for clarity. I saw some other posts that are similar, but does not answer. I typcially do extract brews with LME.

Anyone have specific expereice that can confirm or offer advice?

Old 04-12-2012, 04:54 PM   #2
HibsMax
Recipes 

Mar 2012
Westford, MA
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

From what I understand, you can leave the hops in or you can filter them out, makes no difference. I strain everything when I transfer to my primary.

Old 04-12-2012, 04:55 PM   #3
homebrewdad
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Jan 2012
Birmingham, AL
Liked 384 Times on 279 Posts

I can't answer this for you. I can tell you that I pour all but the absolute solid pieces of hops junk ino my fermentor, and my beers are extremely clear. I do let them sit for a while, however - I'm not a member of the "bottle it the moment gravity is stable" gang.

If you are patient, all of that hops junk will collect with the yeast into a nice, hard cake on the bottom.

Old 04-12-2012, 04:57 PM   #4
seckert
Recipes 

Dec 2011
Temecula, California
Liked 38 Times on 35 Posts

i never strain anything out when i pour my wort into the fermentor. in all honesty i dont think even doing that would help with clarity since it all sinks to the bottom. if you really want clarity I would recommend that you cold crash as this will greatly improve clarity while not changing any of the taste or quality. Just my thoughts though.

Old 04-12-2012, 05:00 PM   #5
duboman
Recipes 

Jul 2011
Glenview, IL
Liked 508 Times on 470 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by seckert
i never strain anything out when i pour my wort into the fermentor. in all honesty i dont think even doing that would help with clarity since it all sinks to the bottom. if you really want clarity I would recommend that you cold crash as this will greatly improve clarity while not changing any of the taste or quality. Just my thoughts though.
I strain my beer and one advantage not mentioned is that this process also helps aerate the wort as it goes into the fermenter introducing lots of o2

The Commune Brewing Company-Perfecting the "art" of beer since 2010

Old 04-12-2012, 05:04 PM   #6
jazzbass
Recipes 

Dec 2005
Wadsworth, Ohio

It certainly won't hurt and will help aeration.

I use hop socks, so there is not much to filter.

When the wort is about the temperature I want I give
it one last really good swirl and let it set about 10 minutes.

Then autosiphon into the primary and any solids get left behind.
Bottled : Christmas Ale
Light Ale
Oatmeal Stout
Cream Ale
Dortmunder
Robust Porter
Black Cherry Ale
Light Lager
Milk Stout
Brown Ale
Amber Cervesa

Old 04-12-2012, 05:25 PM   #7
seckert
Recipes 

Dec 2011
Temecula, California
Liked 38 Times on 35 Posts

dubo- i guess you are right that it does give some extra O2 into the mix. I guess i just try to go for the simpliest way of doing things. I strained the first and second batch i ever did and after that i said screw it. I didnt notice any difference really so i just kept on pouring it right in there.

Old 04-12-2012, 05:38 PM   #8
duboman
Recipes 

Jul 2011
Glenview, IL
Liked 508 Times on 470 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by seckert
dubo- i guess you are right that it does give some extra O2 into the mix. I guess i just try to go for the simpliest way of doing things. I strained the first and second batch i ever did and after that i said screw it. I didnt notice any difference really so i just kept on pouring it right in there.
I run my beer directly from the kettle through a CFC and drain through a strainer into my primary, it's what works for me :mug

The Commune Brewing Company-Perfecting the "art" of beer since 2010