BIAB Notes

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
One thing I might have missed in an earlier post on this topic and BeerSmith. You mentioned that you are planning to get BeerSmith to use. BeerSmith does a great job of scaling recipes. I've been doing a lot of 1.5 gallon all grain batches recently and using BeerSmith to come up with the recipe. If you put in the original 5 gallon recipe, then copy and paste to create a new one, then scale one of them to whatever batch size you want, it should be really close. Then you also have the original in there just in case you decide to start making 5 gallon batches in the future to share.

Also, BeerSmith does a great job of calculating the water needed at the start of the process to give you the bottled amount you want. After a few batches and measurements, it gets even better. The last batch I made I wanted 1.5 gallons into the fermenter and it told me to start with 2.75 gallons. After all told, I was just over 1.5 gallons into my bucket.

I downloaded the trail version to check it out, it's way cool. I tinkered with doing 2 row, mild malt combo with a bitter and aroma hop. I think I added a dark malt too. Eh it was still fun

Back