How to water hops - Home Brew Forums
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Hops Growing > How to water hops

Old 04-11-2012, 05:00 PM   #1
Ajae
Recipes 

Oct 2011
Woodbridge, VA

Hey guys noob hop grower here, I've looked around here and the web but I can't find any real info. How do I water my hops? I know they need water (lots of it) but when they start growing do I just water the hop hill base or the brines themselves? Some plants just require the base because if you water the whole thing it can cause infections. So how is it done, how do you guys do it?

Old 04-11-2012, 05:26 PM   #2
joelrapp
Recipes 

Jan 2011
Indianapolis, IN
Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts

Water the base. Watering the leaves and cones can lead to an increased chance of infection and disease.

Old 04-11-2012, 05:33 PM   #3
sweetcell
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Jan 2012
Rockville, MD
Liked 940 Times on 686 Posts

hops don't need lots of water until it's really hot out, and the plant has a lot of leaves to lose water through. this early in the growing season, they don't need that much water since they're living off the energy (sugars) they have stored in their roots. if anything, a lot of hop grower are currently over-watering their hops. just keep the ground moist. make sure that the soil is draining well between waterings. the root need oxygen down there, which isn't happening when they are drowning in standing water.
- Drinking: NHCPA (BPA and APA made with ingredients from Baltimore), 2 blends of a rye sour: ECY20 + ECY34, local sour cherry kriek #2, brett'ed Belgian blond on raspberries
- Aging: sour blond on second-use cherries, English Barleywine (half on brett), 3726 saison w/ brett x2 (dregs mix & Lochristi), GNO 3724 saison w/ brett mix, sour cherry mead, acerglyn, and a few other sours...

Old 04-11-2012, 07:27 PM   #4
brian2can
Recipes 

Jan 2011
somers point, new jersey
Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetcell View Post
hops don't need lots of water until it's really hot out, and the plant has a lot of leaves to lose water through. this early in the growing season, they don't need that much water since they're living off the energy (sugars) they have stored in their roots. if anything, a lot of hop grower are currently over-watering their hops. just keep the ground moist. make sure that the soil is draining well between waterings. the root need oxygen down there, which isn't happening when they are drowning in standing water.
+1 Sweetcell

Too much water, too much fertilizer, too much care. Let the plant tell you when to water.
When I get a really beautifully clear beer in my glass, I will drink it slowly, and study it through the light until my wife tells me I am a fool of a man. I will do anything to get brilliantly clear beer. It is a mark of skill of the brewer.

Old 04-11-2012, 07:41 PM   #5
Ajae
Recipes 

Oct 2011
Woodbridge, VA

Sounds good! I'm water too much now, I just wanted to throw out there the fact that I knew about hops and water. I've done lots of research, I just couldn't find anything about this particular subject. Thanks a mil!! Cheers!