Coldbreak Brewing Giveaway - Winners Drawn!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Extract Brewing > Krausen not falling

Old 06-18-2007, 10:03 PM   #11
Muss
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

My Kolsch did the same thing, 3 weeks passed and the krausen was still sitting there so I just siphoned it to secondary. It's taking ages for the yeast to settle and I think that's normal for Kolsch.

Old 06-18-2007, 11:09 PM   #12
kaptain_karma

Recipes 

I've made beers with lots of wheat or oats that kept foam on the surface long after the gravity indicated that fermentation was complete. I found it pretty much went away after transfering to secondary.

Old 06-19-2007, 12:47 AM   #13
bandt9299
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Don't worry too much It happens all the time when I use California ale yeast, Its the only yeast that does that to me.

Old 06-19-2007, 06:31 AM   #14
atxstanley
Recipes 

"Braun hefe." Definitley cool. Got another technical/German term under the belt. I really appreciate all the info, experiences and additions to the thread. The krausen is breaking up ever so slowly if I give the carboy a little slosh. I'll be sure to keep ya'll posted on the progress and the end result especially if I feel that there has been any interesting turn of events.
Secondary: Empty
Bottled: AHS Southern Brown Ale
Kegged: Purple Haze Clone, Apfelwein, Texas Kolsch, Irish Red Ale

Old 06-19-2007, 05:00 PM   #15
brewerdave
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAAB
Some true top fermenting yeasts will remain on the surface after a healthy fermentation. US 56 (05) is one of these, it sounds like it's also trapped some hop debris up there but it's perfectly normal.
Beer that has been under-pitched doesn't tend to get this so it sounds like you've done a good job with that Kolsh.

Heres an example of what will often remain after a good ferment, you can culture and repitch it if you like

I'm brewing a hefeweizen that has been in the primary 9 days now, and I took a gravity reading last night and it's done. I'm planning on bottling today(I don't have a secondary), but it has exactly the krausen head that is shown in your picture, even after this long in the primary. Should I wait for it to fall, or skim the top and save the yeast and go ahead and bottle? This is the first batch I've done that has had this thick head, and yes, there was a lot of wheat in my recipe. This will also be the first time that I pitch on the yeast cake, and I'm just not sure if I should skim the yeast from the top before I do that. Any Ideas?

Old 06-29-2007, 04:49 AM   #16
atxstanley
Recipes 

After 23 days in the primary, I finally transfered my kolsch. That persistent krausen didn't end up being the only puzzling thing about it either. The airlock was still burping about 2 or three times every minute, even after 3+ weeks. My hydrometer was reading about 1.1 or so, which seems way off. This has been a screwy beer because my original reading was thrown off by an excessive amount of trub and hop debris that i picked up in my sample thief. So for now, I'm at a loss... and a little confused about this beer. It sure smelled good while I was racking to the secondary, guess we'll see after a few weeks of cold conditioning. Thanks for all the help again.
Secondary: Empty
Bottled: AHS Southern Brown Ale
Kegged: Purple Haze Clone, Apfelwein, Texas Kolsch, Irish Red Ale

Old 01-25-2012, 10:03 PM   #17
jessup
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyGuy View Post
I am not sure how much wheat was in your brew, but it was probably enough to form that thick, persistent krausen. Wheat in your beer also does the same thing with the head when poured. There are lots of proteins in wheat malt that help build and retain that creamy head, as well as your krausen.

Your beer is probably well past the krausen stage, but it sounds like there are still some remnants of the 'head' that didn't fall back into the beer. No big deal. Regardless, you need to check your gravity reading to see if the fermentation is complete or not. That's the only rule one needs to follow. Visual clues can be misleading.
^^this was about the best info I could find so I'm gonna hijack this thread instead of starting another.

I have a 1 month old caramel cream ale AG recipe that has 7.7% wheat content & was 1.064. I underpitched the WL cream ale blend and added lots of irish moss for clarity. Lactose used but only .2 oz/gal. Here is the photo from 3 weeks into primary, last SG check was 1.016. no sour or off flavors. air lock is still moving and co2 bubbles very active - piece of krausen drops then quickly rises again from bubble. WHY WON'T THIS KRausen fall?? it is also very chunky looking which is odd. this is part of a large batch in which every single carboy has the same thing. very odd....