Anyone use brewtarget? - Home Brew Forums

Register Now!
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Anyone use brewtarget?

Old 04-11-2012, 04:52 AM   #1
May 2011
, Michigan
Liked 32 Times on 13 Posts

I'm a Linux Admin by day so I tend to look for open source software for most anything I am doing. I found a piece of software called brewtarget I plan to throw on my linux box and try out. Anyone else messed with it? Sounds like it's made for linux, mac and windows OS.

Link for any of those interested.

Old 04-11-2012, 04:57 AM   #2
Sep 2011
Liked 26 Times on 24 Posts

Ya I use it, although I have little to no programming experience so the open source nature isn't useful beyond the fact that it's free. There is fairly decent support for it, and you can check the brewing software subforum and read the thread there.

From what I hear, it is fairly similar to BeerSmith, but I have no personal experience there, so you'd have to judge for yourself. I'm still a fairly new brewer but I haven't found anything lacking thus far.

The only problem I've run into thus far is exporting the recipe files. I can't get excel to recognize the file, and HBT won't allow it as a .xml upload. But I haven't reported any issues or done any realy looking in to finding a resolution, so it's possible that there is a fix out there.

Old 04-11-2012, 05:05 AM   #3
Jan 2012
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I use brewtarget on ubuntu and am very pleased with it. I also use brewr and my Android phone, however I prefer brewtarget.

Old 04-11-2012, 07:58 AM   #4
Dec 2010
Nelson, New Zealand
Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts

A few of us bloggers recently did reviews of brewing software that we use. Brewtarget was one:
Blogging about my home brewing experiences at

"Pursue Hoppiness With Diligence"

Old 04-11-2012, 08:08 AM   #5
Apr 2011
porsgrunn norway, lol
Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

I like to use brewtarget when playing with recepies
Mostly using it for guidelines when i throw someting together

Support has been werry good for me
Nothing too interesting yet
A work in progress just like my beer