What did I do wrong; I would like to do it again. - Home Brew Forums
Register Now For Free!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Winemaking Forum > What did I do wrong; I would like to do it again.

Old 04-11-2012, 02:19 AM   #1
LuiInIdaho
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Feb 2011
Ponderay, Idaho
Liked 29 Times on 23 Posts

The other night we opened a bottle of homemade wine - a rhubarb wine. It had a clear color and a little sediment in the bottle. When we opened the bottle, it popped like a champagne. When we poured it into a glass, it had the effervescence of a sparkling wine. I was pleasantly surprised that we had created a rhubarb sparkling wine with a great color and flavor. Is it normal to add campden tablets (or another stabilizer) at bottling time? I don't recall doing any of this. Any way, the bit of yeast sediment was easy to put up with given that we got a sparkling wine. Also, if we try to do this again, would it be recommended to use champagne bottles and wire cork hoods?

Thanks in advance for your help. mark

Old 04-11-2012, 02:22 AM   #2
jeepinjeepin

Recipes 

Apr 2011
Winston-Salem, NC
Liked 1046 Times on 1025 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuiInIdaho
The other night we opened a bottle of homemade wine - a rhubarb wine. It had a clear color and a little sediment in the bottle. When we opened the bottle, it popped like a champagne. When we poured it into a glass, it had the effervescence of a sparkling wine. I was pleasantly surprised that we had created a rhubarb sparkling wine with a great color and flavor. Is it normal to add campden tablets (or another stabilizer) at bottling time? I don't recall doing any of this. Any way, the bit of yeast sediment was easy to put up with given that we got a sparkling wine. Also, if we try to do this again, would it be recommended to use champagne bottles and wire cork hoods?

Thanks in advance for your help. mark
I'm not up on my winemaking tech. If you want sweet wine you would have to stabilize to back sweeten. Definitely use champagne bottles with hoods if you are aiming for sparkling.

Old 04-11-2012, 02:31 AM   #3
Kampo
Recipes 

Jun 2010
Portage, Mi
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

you bottled wine that wasn't quite done fermenting. to recreat prolly best to let it ferment dry then add some priming surgar and bottle in champagne or beer bottles

Old 04-11-2012, 02:46 AM   #4
bleme

Recipes 

Jan 2012
Visalia, CA
Liked 320 Times on 234 Posts

Sparkling apple cider bottles work well also. You just need a bench capper to cap them properly.

Old 04-11-2012, 08:39 AM   #5
divi2323
Recipes 

Oct 2011
Blue Island, IL
Liked 13 Times on 12 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kampo
you bottled wine that wasn't quite done fermenting. to recreat prolly best to let it ferment dry then add some priming surgar and bottle in champagne or beer bottles
This.