atc refreactometer reading - Home Brew Forums
Register Now For Free!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > atc refreactometer reading

Old 04-11-2012, 02:00 AM   #1
Edpietrzak
Recipes 

Jan 2012

I just got a new atc tempature correcting refractometer with specific gravity. Callibrated to 1.000 sg with distilled water and took a reading of a cream ale that I am about to bottle. The sg 1.021. So I took a hydrometer reading to compare and that says 1.008. Am I doing something wrong?

Old 04-11-2012, 02:06 AM   #2
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Jun 2006
UP of Michigan, Winter Texan
Liked 8013 Times on 5600 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edpietrzak View Post
I just got a new atc tempature correcting refractometer with specific gravity. Callibrated to 1.000 sg with distilled water and took a reading of a cream ale that I am about to bottle. The sg 1.021. So I took a hydrometer reading to compare and that says 1.008. Am I doing something wrong?
Refractometers work great for unfermented wort/must but once alcohol is in the liquid, it changes the way the light refracts through it so you need to take a hydrometer reading after fermentation starts.

There are correction tables to help figure the probable finished SG using a refractometer, but I haven't found them all that accurate.

Old 04-11-2012, 02:29 AM   #3
Edpietrzak
Recipes 

Jan 2012

Thank you for such a quick reply. Is it better to just go off of brix units or will the same issue happen?

Old 04-11-2012, 02:41 AM   #4
Copbrew133

Recipes 

Jan 2012
Tampa Bay area, FL
Liked 31 Times on 26 Posts

Same thing will happen.

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/my-b...-along-366645/

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/bodi...-cheap-299101/

The real reason that we can't have the Ten Commandments posted in a courthouse is this: You cannot post "Thou Shalt Not Steal," "Thou Shalt
Not Commit Adultery," and "Thou Shall Not Lie" in a building full of lawyers, judges and politicians...It creates a hostile work environment.

Old 04-11-2012, 03:10 AM   #5
iaefebs
Recipes 

Aug 2010
West Coast, MI
Liked 245 Times on 177 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edpietrzak View Post
Thank you for such a quick reply. Is it better to just go off of brix units or will the same issue happen?
Way, better to use the Brix scale. If you can post the original gravity I can tell you what your Brix reading is and you can compare for yourself.