I ran into my first real problem today and I'm hoping I can get this one figured out.
On 3/25/2012, I brewed an extract batch of Northern Brewer's Dark Cherry Stout (http://www.northernbrewer.com/shop/d...tract-kit.html
). Brew day went well, target OG was 1.053 and I hit it dead on. Clean and sanitized fermenter was waiting, filled 'er up, pitched one packet of Safale S-33 dry yeast (second time I pitched dry yeast directly on wort, usually rehydrated first). Fermentation was active within 12 hours at a temp of around 70F with kraused formed quickly. After active fermentation ceased on or around 3/28/2012, regular temps maintained around 66F.
Fast forward to today, I am prepping to rack this batch over 6 lbs of Vintner's Harvest Cherry Base (http://www.northernbrewer.com/shop/vh-cherry-base.html
) and 4 oz cacao nibs (http://www.northernbrewer.com/shop/c...hana-4-oz.html
). The cherries and nibs are contained in a big nylon bag so they aren't loose in the beer.
I pulled a sample with my wine thief and the SG reading is 1.030. I have no idea what the FG is supposed to be for this brew as the directions from NB don't say but I'd like to think it's supposed to be lower than that.
It's been racked to secondary over the cherries and cacao nibs so there's not much I can do now. I don't plan to bottle this one, it'll go to the keg. My first thought was to pitch another packet of yeast over it (rehydrated, of course) but that is really the only option that I can come up with other than RDWHAHB.
My second thought was to skip the secondary bucket and re-rack it to the keg with the bag of cherries and nibs and leave it in there for an extended time frame, maybe even pitch more yeast in there. Not worried about oxidizing it as my racking technique is good and I don't mind moving it is needed.
I'm a bit concerned because the fruit will add fermentable sugar to the brew so it will increase the gravity. There's basically ZERO headspace in my bucket and it fermentation takes off, I'll definitely need to go to the keg.