Mold! - Home Brew Forums

Register Now!
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Mold!

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 04-09-2012, 02:50 AM   #1
Bulldog21
Recipes 
 
Oct 2011
Centennial, CO
Posts: 48


I am getting ready to bottle my second batch and when I grabbed by bottle bucket I noticed mold in the bottom!!

I obviously did not completely dry it last time - rookie mistake.

So, do I bleach it and clean it or get a new bucket?

 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 03:02 AM   #2
barneygumble
Recipes 
 
Apr 2012
Pittsfield, MA
Posts: 547
Liked 18 Times on 16 Posts


You dont have to buy a new one. Take the thing outside, hose it out good, (or do it in the sink/tub if the SWMBO wont pUUnish you for it.) Then bring it in, make a fairly strong sanitizing solution of bleach, water and vinegar (recipe here somewhere) and let it soak full of sanitizer overnight. Rinse thoroughly, wash with dish detergent. Rinse thoroughly. clean with oxy clean. Rinse thoroughly. Sanitize and use. Its important to pass some of the bleach solution through the spigot during the soak and leave the nozzle pointed up and full of it during the soak. Then disassemble the spigot ass'y and wash each piece separately as per above process.

Or you can use the bucket for washing the car, go to the LHBS and buy a new one tomorrow for a few bucks. Oxyclean, sanitize and use. Its your choice and your time and money.

 
Reply With Quote
Reply
Thread Tools



Forum Jump