Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > India Pale Ale > All-Grain - Ithaca Flower Power Clone

Old 06-20-2012, 01:59 PM   #61
Dumpsterboy
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Siv-- you are right, No Amarillo or Chinook in the boil on their website. I have brewed this a few times and did it both ways(with them in the boil and without). I thought it was closer to Flower Power when I added amarillo and chinook in the boil. The chinook @5 really added a nice aroma, and the early addition of Amarillo added some bitterness and flavor as well. As far as the IBU's-- again you are right about 75 according to Ithaca. I like it overly hopped, so I boosted up the hop amount, and it worked for me that way. I boil for 60 minutes, but when i took the brewery tour in Ithaca, they said they boil for 90 minutes. So if you add centennial @90 then you can probably reduce the amount of hops to achieve a higher IBU-- of course you would have to increase your preboil amount as well. Here is the second way I brewed a close clone of flower power that more resembles their recipe that you can try, but again I like the first one a bit more.

1.25oz Centennial@60, 1.0 Simcoe@30, 1.5 Cascade@10, 1.5Ahtanum@5---then dry hop 7 days 1.0oz each of simcoe, amarillo,chinook
This was 89.0 IBU's , I used 16lbs Briess 2-row, 1lb Honey malt, 0.5 Acidulated malt ----- aboout 7.5%abv

I liked this beer as well. And no, your not being a jerk at all, I like the feedback of different people--it makes us all better brewers.

Old 06-20-2012, 02:19 PM   #62
sivdrinks
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dumpsterboy
Siv-- you are right, No Amarillo or Chinook in the boil on their website. I have brewed this a few times and did it both ways(with them in the boil and without). I thought it was closer to Flower Power when I added amarillo and chinook in the boil. The chinook @5 really added a nice aroma, and the early addition of Amarillo added some bitterness and flavor as well. As far as the IBU's-- again you are right about 75 according to Ithaca. I like it overly hopped, so I boosted up the hop amount, and it worked for me that way. I boil for 60 minutes, but when i took the brewery tour in Ithaca, they said they boil for 90 minutes. So if you add centennial @90 then you can probably reduce the amount of hops to achieve a higher IBU-- of course you would have to increase your preboil amount as well. Here is the second way I brewed a close clone of flower power that more resembles their recipe that you can try, but again I like the first one a bit more.

1.25oz Centennial@60, 1.0 Simcoe@30, 1.5 Cascade@10, 1.5Ahtanum@5---then dry hop 7 days 1.0oz each of simcoe, amarillo,chinook
This was 89.0 IBU's , I used 16lbs Briess 2-row, 1lb Honey malt, 0.5 Acidulated malt ----- aboout 7.5%abv

I liked this beer as well. And no, your not being a jerk at all, I like the feedback of different people--it makes us all better brewers.
Wow, thanks for the elaborate feedback! I made a recipe based on yours a bit but with continuous hopping from 20 on in. It saves a bit on hops and was very successful for Yoopers 60 clone. If I do a 90 boil you think I should drop the Crystal addition? Assuming you put it there in place of boiling for 90.

Old 06-20-2012, 06:02 PM   #63
Dumpsterboy
Recipes 

In my last batch a few days ago, I added 8oz of acidulated malt because Ithaca uses it. It increased my efficiency by about 3-5% too.

Old 07-15-2012, 01:12 AM   #64
sivdrinks
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
In my last batch a few days ago, I added 8oz of acidulated malt because Ithaca uses it. It increased my efficiency by about 3-5% too.
I'm making this tomorrow, have 4oz in my recipe . Ever see the need for carapils?

Old 07-15-2012, 01:37 AM   #65
Benedetto
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 15

I've never made an all-grain before - a little scared to right now. What LME or DME (or both?) can I use to substitute for the 16 lbs of Breiss 2-row?

Old 07-15-2012, 02:18 AM   #66
Voodoo_Child
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 2

If memory serves me right.. 1 lb 2 row = .75 LME or .6 DME

Bottled: House Pale split US-05/WLP 400, Cottage House Saison
Fermenting: American Hefeweizen, Small beer with 3rd runnings of Hefeweizen
On Deck: Wit, Skeeter Pee

Old 07-15-2012, 09:29 PM   #67
BuffaloBeer1
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I brewed this about 5 weeks ago. I hit my numbers right on. However, I used 2 packets of US-05, and my final abv was 8.5%. Everyone I speak to about Flower Power has the same experience, feeling like your drunk on two beers. This one will get me there in 1.5. There's just something about that stuff. This recipe is delicious. Other than clarity and the nose, it is right on compared to the real deal. I tried throwing the hops into the primary towards the end; next time I'll wait for the secondary.

Old 08-20-2012, 02:33 AM   #68
sivdrinks
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

No idea what happened but my beer got pretty dark and is malty/caramely. Definitely not Flower Power and doubtfully the recipes fault.

Old 08-20-2012, 10:43 AM   #69
Dumpsterboy
Recipes 

I wonder what happened? Is it infected? I just racked this recipe to the keg and it came out perfect again. If you figure out what you think happened then please post--I'd be interested to see how that occurred. The best thing about this recipe for me, is the lack of maltyness.

Old 08-20-2012, 05:57 PM   #70
sivdrinks
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
I wonder what happened? Is it infected? I just racked this recipe to the keg and it came out perfect again. If you figure out what you think happened then please post--I'd be interested to see how that occurred. The best thing about this recipe for me, is the lack of maltyness.
I don't think it's infected, tasted fine before I dry hopped. I detect some diacetyl or a scotch ale kinda yeast or something. It just tastes like a bigger beer, like Deviant Dales or 90. It's weird because there's not even Caramel malt in this recipe. Maybe I just boiled the **** out of it? Had a Stone 16 Anniversary and then this and it tasted similar. It's fine, just not the kind of IPA I like.