Coldbreak Brewing Giveaway - Open to All!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Ha! I screwed up and did this.......

Old 04-08-2012, 07:31 AM   #1
mortal888
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Ha! I screwed up and did this.......

So last night I brewed an IPA in mini mash. The OG was lower than it was supposed to be, but not really sure about what to do about it, I stuck it in primary.

Today I realized that I put the liquid extract in, but forgot to put the dried malt extract! In haste, I boiled some water with the dried extract until it was really liquidy, cooled it to 75 degrees, and dumped it into the primary (airating it a little more).

Was this a good call or did I just make the problem worse? Anyone else made this stupid mistake?

Old 04-08-2012, 07:55 AM   #2
blawjr
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 11

I would have left it alone and saved the malt for starters or another batch. BUT fermentation is barely getting started so I don't see why you would have any problems. If anything you just got slightly better hop utilization from a lower gravity boil. RDWHAHB

Old 04-08-2012, 11:26 AM   #3
bige9920
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 4

you should be ok...

Old 04-08-2012, 12:32 PM   #4
brockettbrews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

i think it should be ok. if you wouldnt have. you would be drinking a 2% abv!!! lol!! you might as well drink water.

Old 04-08-2012, 12:37 PM   #5
brdftbll
Recipes 

Hey I am new to home brewing and was curious if there is an easy kit that I can start with. I see mr beer and all that, but what do you suggest? Thanks for the help!

Old 04-08-2012, 01:32 PM   #6
brockettbrews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

mr. beer is the way to go. then if you want to go to all grain you can still make 2 gallon batches that way. I mean for like 40 to 50 dollars and your ready to make beer. show me where you can get a 5 gallon setup for that??? plus everyone screws up there first batch so your only throwing out 2 gallon instead of 5. I enjoyed mr beer, but i do all grain. it took about a year.

Old 04-08-2012, 01:33 PM   #7
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 5935 Times on 4231 Posts
Likes Given: 1514

Quote:
Originally Posted by mortal888 View Post
So last night I brewed an IPA in mini mash. The OG was lower than it was supposed to be, but not really sure about what to do about it, I stuck it in primary.

Today I realized that I put the liquid extract in, but forgot to put the dried malt extract! In haste, I boiled some water with the dried extract until it was really liquidy, cooled it to 75 degrees, and dumped it into the primary (airating it a little more).

Was this a good call or did I just make the problem worse? Anyone else made this stupid mistake?
That's exactly what I would have done! good call.

Follow me on facebook: https://www.facebook.com/lorena.t.evans
But I'm pretty boring so don't expect much!
https://www.facebook.com/lorena.t.evans

Old 04-08-2012, 01:38 PM   #8
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 5935 Times on 4231 Posts
Likes Given: 1514

Quote:
Originally Posted by brdftbll View Post
Hey I am new to home brewing and was curious if there is an easy kit that I can start with. I see mr beer and all that, but what do you suggest? Thanks for the help!
I'm not a mr. beer fan at all, because the ingredient kit comes with prehopped extract and "booster" and makes an "ok" product but not very good. The refills are also overpriced for what you get.

I'd rather start with a beer kit like this: http://www.northernbrewer.com/shop/b...arter-kit.html
and then an ingredient kit like this: http://www.northernbrewer.com/shop/brewing/recipe-kits

It's more expensive in the beginning, but cheaper in the long run. And it makes 5 gallons of quality beer at a time.

My friend has a mr. beer and she loves it. I've had her beer, and I never knock anybody's beer when they give me one free, but it's honestly just "ok". It's not terrible or anything. But it's not "good". The extract kits I link to above (and I've done some of them) are "good" to "excellent".

Follow me on facebook: https://www.facebook.com/lorena.t.evans
But I'm pretty boring so don't expect much!
https://www.facebook.com/lorena.t.evans

Old 04-08-2012, 01:48 PM   #9
djfriesen
Recipes 

Liked 26 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 6

You can also go with 1 gallon starter all-grain kits from a place like Brooklyn Brew Shop. Not sure if it's up your alley, but they set out the steps pretty well, and it's a great introduction to all-grain brewing on a scale very manageable to the begginer brewer.

Old 04-08-2012, 01:53 PM   #10
mortal888
Recipes 

Awesome, might not have killed it then. Since what I added in last night was a pretty thick goop. I'm going to open it up again today and give it a good stir.

Then I'll finally leave it alone and hope for the best.