Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Lambic & Wild Brewing > Which Sours to Harvest Yeast
Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 04-07-2012, 07:50 AM   #1
Spring_Chicken
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Snohomish, WA
Posts: 217
Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Default

Which sour beers are good to harvest yeast from. My favorites include Supplication, Duchess, Cascade Kreik, and those with a true sourness.

Here's a thread with some great ones listed. I have Hansenns Kreik on my counter...

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f127/com...ations-297082/


Spring_Chicken is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 10:38 AM   #2
Coff
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Posts: 1,472
Liked 170 Times on 120 Posts
Likes Given: 109

Default

I've had really good success just pitching dregs of commercial sours into an already fermenting beer as opposed to harvesting and building it up.

Russian River and Jolly Pumpkin have been the best dregs in my short experience. I've done 3 1gallon sour beers where I've pitched dregs and have gotten great results. In the end you'll have built up a good bank of bugs that you can harvest from te fermenter, plus you have beer to drink!


__________________
Blog:
Alesoftheriverwards.com

Twitter: @ecoffy
Instagram: @ed_coffey
Coff is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 12:46 PM   #3
Guess42
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Rochester, NY
Posts: 163
Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Default

The mad fermentationist has a good post that lists all the commonly available ones. Don't have the link in front of me.

edit: found it:
http://www.themadfermentationist.com...tle-dregs.html
Guess42 is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 02:21 PM   #4
spearko520
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: allentown, PA
Posts: 1,030
Liked 57 Times on 55 Posts
Likes Given: 210

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring_Chicken View Post
Which sour beers are good to harvest yeast from. My favorites include Supplication, Duchess, Cascade Kreik, and those with a true sourness.

Here's a thread with some great ones listed. I have Hansenns Kreik on my counter...
i don't think the thread attached
__________________
"i like to drink. I do it all the time, every day."- anthony jeselnik
spearko520 is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 06:00 PM   #5
inda_bebe
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: orange, ca
Posts: 195
Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coff View Post
I've had really good success just pitching dregs of commercial sours into an already fermenting beer as opposed to harvesting and building it up.

Russian River and Jolly Pumpkin have been the best dregs in my short experience. I've done 3 1gallon sour beers where I've pitched dregs and have gotten great results. In the end you'll have built up a good bank of bugs that you can harvest from te fermenter, plus you have beer to drink!
Im doing the same thing, i brewed 1 gal. and pitched dregs from sanctification. its been a week and and its still fermenting actively. how long till yours was ready to bottle or drink? im gonna rack it to a secondary on top of apricots
inda_bebe is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 06:19 PM   #6
spearko520
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: allentown, PA
Posts: 1,030
Liked 57 Times on 55 Posts
Likes Given: 210

Default

JP dregs are awesome. Spring Chicken- are you saying that duchesse is a favorite sour, or a favorite yeast to harvest- as we haven't had any luck with duchesse or vichtenar, even though duchesse says 100 percent natural and non pasteurized- has anyone been able to raise duchesse?
__________________
"i like to drink. I do it all the time, every day."- anthony jeselnik
spearko520 is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 06:41 PM   #7
Oldsock
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: DC, Washington DC
Posts: 3,192
Liked 234 Times on 156 Posts
Likes Given: 154

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guess42 View Post
The mad fermentationist has a good post that lists all the commonly available ones. Don't have the link in front of me.

edit: found it:
http://www.themadfermentationist.com...tle-dregs.html
If anyone wants to add or dispute any of the entries on the list please do. It is hard to keep up with the huge number of sours coming onto the market these days.
__________________
Check out The Mad Fermentationist for my adventures in fermentation and my book: American Sour Beers!
Oldsock is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 07:13 PM   #8
spearko520
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: allentown, PA
Posts: 1,030
Liked 57 Times on 55 Posts
Likes Given: 210

Default

oldsock, i noticed you don't have any brouwerij verhaeghe beers on your list- is that just from them not being verified, or have you tried with duchesse, to no avail? i'm wondering if i should try again - or maybe even try to get some of their other beers...
__________________
"i like to drink. I do it all the time, every day."- anthony jeselnik
spearko520 is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 07:46 PM   #9
Spring_Chicken
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Snohomish, WA
Posts: 217
Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by spearko520
JP dregs are awesome. Spring Chicken- are you saying that duchesse is a favorite sour, or a favorite yeast to harvest- as we haven't had any luck with duchesse or vichtenar, even though duchesse says 100 percent natural and non pasteurized- has anyone been able to raise duchesse?
I was just listing the beers that I'd like to emulate. My favorites.
Spring_Chicken is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 08:00 PM   #10
Guess42
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Rochester, NY
Posts: 163
Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Default

Spearko, Duchesse has alot of sweetness to it. Not sure if the dregs are viable. Are there dregs? Could be sterile filtered.


Guess42 is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools



Forum Jump

Newest Threads

LATEST SPONSOR DEALS