Ss Brewtechs Biggest Baddest Holiday Giveaway Ever!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Extract Brewing > Lemon & Basil Summer Ale Recipe--Need Feedback
Old 04-10-2012, 12:04 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 4

The enzyme assists in breaking down the sugars. I've found it helpful when shooting for light bodied lawnmower type session ales.

In the botte: Wheat, American Pale Ale
In Primary #1: Light Hybrid #1
Primary #2: Light Hybrid #2
On Deck: IPA
In Design: California Common
Old 04-19-2012, 09:39 PM   #12
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Originally Posted by Tinga

I would ignore the enzyme for now. you can make a plenty dry ale without it. Keeping the cornsugar will help dry the beer out actually. corn sugar is 100% fermentable and will therefore bring the FG down. I think you may have OG and FG mixed up in this post. original gravity is how much sugars there are dissolved in the wort before it is fermented. finished gravity is how much sugar is left there after fermentation has finished. the more sugars the yeast eat the lower your fg will be. if there are more simple sugars the lower your fg will go. I would say with a summer ale with additions such as basil and lemon zest you want a very little amount of hops. I'm thinking less than 25 IBUs. the amount of attenuation is up to you. I could see this summer ale good either sweet or dry so it's up to you and what you want. if it is sweet make sure you add plenty of basil and lemon to get those flavors to balance.
Ah, sorry I omitted a small but critical number. FG is 1.015, not 1.05... I've taken all advice and I think I have a final recipe that I'm going to run with. The FG ended up a point higher at 1.016 but I think it will all balance. Unless Anyone can see any glaring errors I'm going to plan to brew this in the next 2 weeks. Thanks everyone for the input, very educating for me!