Lemon & Basil Summer Ale Recipe--Need Feedback - Home Brew Forums

Register Now!
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Extract Brewing > Lemon & Basil Summer Ale Recipe--Need Feedback

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 04-07-2012, 12:35 AM   #1
rokets34
Recipes 
 
Apr 2012
Hillsboro, OR
Posts: 8


Hello,

I put together this recipe for a summer ale and would like some input on it. My main worry is that it will be on the sweet side due to the grain selection, but I tried to balance that with a bit more hops.

Has anyone tried using basil in a brew before? Thoughts on the amount of lemon zest?

Any input would be greatly appreciated (please let me know if the link doesn't work and Ill paste the recipe in the post).

http://hopville.com/recipe/1275991/a...pes/summer-ale

Thanks,

Brent

 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 03:55 AM   #2
nasa258e
Recipes 
 
Nov 2011
Posts: 56
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts


Seems like a lot of hops

 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 04:03 AM   #3
lumpher
Recipes 
 
Jul 2009
texas
Posts: 5,065
Liked 265 Times on 226 Posts


putting sweet basil and lemon zest in a semi-american ipa makes my mouth twist up... don't exactly know what that means, but that's what happens
__________________
There is no "i" in denial.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 06:11 PM   #4
rokets34
Recipes 
 
Apr 2012
Hillsboro, OR
Posts: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by lumpher
putting sweet basil and lemon zest in a semi-american ipa makes my mouth twist up... don't exactly know what that means, but that's what happens
Good point on the amount of hops... I've been brewing a lot of ipa and iipas lately so I tend toward a more robust hop profile. Ive scaled it back a bit...

 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 02:08 PM   #5
bobbrews
Recipes 
 
Jan 2011
Sierra, Nevada
Posts: 4,034
Liked 439 Times on 350 Posts


Don't boil the basil and lemon zest; Flameout and/or dryhop with them.

I wouldn't be afraid of adding more flameout hops too.

What's your goal with using 1 lb. of 2-row here? I would'nt bother incorporating it unless its 25% or more of the recipe.

You don't need carapils either. DME already contains a portion of Carapils.

Try to get that FG lower for a crisp Summer ale.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 07:08 PM   #6
rokets34
Recipes 
 
Apr 2012
Hillsboro, OR
Posts: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbrews
Don't boil the basil and lemon zest; Flameout and/or dryhop with them.

I wouldn't be afraid of adding more flameout hops too.

What's your goal with using 1 lb. of 2-row here? I would'nt bother incorporating it unless its 25% or more of the recipe.

You don't need carapils either. DME already contains a portion of Carapils.

Try to get that FG lower for a crisp Summer ale.
I probably should have added that this is my first crack at building my own recipe...Thanks for your input. I was hoping the 2 row would lend some additional "ale" flavors, am I off the mark there? I've upped the amount to get it closer to the % you suggested.

I've made some changes to get the fg down and to dry out the beer, also took your advice on the hops and lemon/ basil.

Any additional input out there?

 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 07:14 PM   #7
rokets34
Recipes 
 
Apr 2012
Hillsboro, OR
Posts: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by rokets34

I probably should have added that this is my first crack at building my own recipe...Thanks for your input. I was hoping the 2 row would lend some additional "ale" flavors, am I off the mark there? I've upped the amount to get it closer to the % you suggested.

I've made some changes to get the fg down and to dry out the beer, also took your advice on the hops and lemon/ basil.

Any additional input out there?
Update: recipe apparently didn't save correctly (user error) I'll make the updates today and repost when complete.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 07:59 PM   #8
brtisbuck
Recipes 
 
Dec 2011
cleveland, Ohio
Posts: 271
Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by rokets34 View Post
I probably should have added that this is my first crack at building my own recipe...Thanks for your input. I was hoping the 2 row would lend some additional "ale" flavors, am I off the mark there? I've upped the amount to get it closer to the % you suggested.

I've made some changes to get the fg down and to dry out the beer, also took your advice on the hops and lemon/ basil.

Any additional input out there?
The 2 row is a base malt, it won't impact the flavor noticibly. You could omit the 2 row. If you might want to tinker with some rice syrup solids - they ferment dry and impact the flavor little - like maybe replace a # of extract with it. Another way to dry it out is a teaspoon or so of amylase enzyme into the primary after 7 days. That will help dry it up some, but will boost alc in the process.
__________________
In the botte: Wheat, American Pale Ale
In Primary #1: Light Hybrid #1
Primary #2: Light Hybrid #2
On Deck: IPA
In Design: California Common

 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 09:57 PM   #9
rokets34
Recipes 
 
Apr 2012
Hillsboro, OR
Posts: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by brtisbuck

The 2 row is a base malt, it won't impact the flavor noticibly. You could omit the 2 row. If you might want to tinker with some rice syrup solids - they ferment dry and impact the flavor little - like maybe replace a # of extract with it. Another way to dry it out is a teaspoon or so of amylase enzyme into the primary after 7 days. That will help dry it up some, but will boost alc in the process.
Thanks for the advice. I've removed the 2 row, guess I was just confused about it's purpose. I added an additional crystal to add a bit more complexity and reduced the corn sugar to get the fg down to 1.05. I would like to see the fg even a bit lower, so maybe I'll try the enzyme you suggested. Is this a yeast nutrient or does the enzyme actually assist in breaking down sugars? Does it have any affect on the taste or mouthfeel?

 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 10:58 PM   #10
Tinga
 
Tinga's Avatar
Recipes 
 
May 2010
MN
Posts: 1,122
Liked 39 Times on 30 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by rokets34 View Post
Thanks for the advice. I've removed the 2 row, guess I was just confused about it's purpose. I added an additional crystal to add a bit more complexity and reduced the corn sugar to get the fg down to 1.05. I would like to see the fg even a bit lower, so maybe I'll try the enzyme you suggested. Is this a yeast nutrient or does the enzyme actually assist in breaking down sugars? Does it have any affect on the taste or mouthfeel?
I would ignore the enzyme for now. you can make a plenty dry ale without it. Keeping the cornsugar will help dry the beer out actually. corn sugar is 100% fermentable and will therefore bring the FG down. I think you may have OG and FG mixed up in this post. original gravity is how much sugars there are dissolved in the wort before it is fermented. finished gravity is how much sugar is left there after fermentation has finished. the more sugars the yeast eat the lower your fg will be. if there are more simple sugars the lower your fg will go. I would say with a summer ale with additions such as basil and lemon zest you want a very little amount of hops. I'm thinking less than 25 IBUs. the amount of attenuation is up to you. I could see this summer ale good either sweet or dry so it's up to you and what you want. if it is sweet make sure you add plenty of basil and lemon to get those flavors to balance.

 
Reply With Quote
Reply
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
My first recipe (feedback please) Hulud Extract Brewing 2 05-16-2011 04:18 AM
summer beer recipe feedback edb23 Extract Brewing 5 03-18-2011 05:28 PM
recipe feedback. Reddheadedstepchild Extract Brewing 12 02-20-2010 05:28 AM
Recipe feedback fatsack Extract Brewing 0 10-06-2009 02:13 AM
GQ Summer Brew with lemon...too much lemon 98EXL Extract Brewing 12 07-07-2007 06:47 PM


Forum Jump