Coldbreak Brewing HERMS Giveaway!

HomeBrewSupply AMCYL Brew Kettle Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > New Idea For Mash Temperature Probe

Old 04-06-2012, 07:12 PM   #1
ericwatkins_utk
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 5

Default New Idea For Mash Temperature Probe

I've been brewing for about 3-4 years, but just started all grain a couple of batches ago. After feeling like a rookie all over again and I'm chasing mash temperatures, however I came up with a good idea for a mash temperature probe:

I brought out my multimeter I use for electrical work and hooked up the temperature probe and stuck the transducer down into the mash. Its flexable, is pretty accurate, and all I have to do is turn it on every so often and check the temp without having to open the lid and hold in a thermometer. Thought I'd share...

Old 04-06-2012, 07:15 PM   #2
ScottSingleton
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Yeah -- I've got friends that just drop their thermocouple wire right down into the mash after dough-in and slap the digi-readout on the bench nearby. Works great for them!

Just make sure the plastic/rubber on the meter probe cable won't break down at mash temps and put all those nasty chemicals into your wort.