Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Why doesn't everyone just BIAB?
View Poll Results: How do you brew?
I BIAB 389 37.19%
I use a 3 vessel system 406 38.81%
I don't brew all-grain, I'm an extract brewer 114 10.90%
What's BIAB? 26 2.49%
I use a system that doesn't fit into the other categories 111 10.61%
Voters: 1046. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-31-2013, 08:13 PM   #201
gizmodog51
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1MadScientist View Post
When I went AG, I built the 10 gallon round cooler mush tun and enjoyed the process, but from there I went to BIAB for my 5 gallon batches. I can also make 10 gallons. I can lift the grain out with my pulley system, as I brew in my garage.
harbor freight has their electric over head pulley on sale too!
44425475 $109.99

GD

Old 01-31-2013, 08:18 PM   #202
lespaul23
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 6

For me, I do 5gal full boils in my kitchen. I use a 8gal kettle and I like big beers so a $40 cooler and $20 of parts to build a mash tun was cheeper then buying a bigger kettle. Theres no way I can get 15+ lbs of grain in my kettle to BIAB, and thats why i use a 3 vessle system. I have a small kitchen in my apt, but using a cooler as a mash tun works great for me. Mash, open valve, fly sparge and collect my wort and im done.

Plus, I like the fact that when my grain is in my mash tun I can walk away for an hour and not stand over the stove for longer then I have to. Then sparge and again walk away for an hour. There is very little work in a mash/fly sparge sutup. I mean like none! The coolers do all the work.

Kevin

Old 01-06-2015, 10:32 PM   #203
RichBenn
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 14

I brewed my first beer in 1981. The MOST important thing I've learned over the years is there are almost unlimited ways to make great beer, from extract boils on the stove to slick 3 vessel electronic HERMS systems. Too often people get religion for the system they select; reality is there are positives and negatives in all choices, it's more a matter of what you value most (for the moment).

In recent times, I moved from batch sparging using multiple gas burners to an electric HERMS system. Selecting a new, bigger boil pot, PID controlled elements and flexible connections allows me now to do extract, BIAB, batch sparge or full HERMS.

*** Oops! Sorry for reviving an old thread - I must have been doing a search.

In terms of efficiency/cost of ingredients(for big beers), it's HERMS>batch>BIAB>extract.
Equipment cost follows the same pattern.
In terms of time (and also space) it's extract<BIAB<batch<HERMS

Of course there are exceptions, but all things equal(when does that happen), these rankings are generally true.

There are limits to what you can brew with extract and very few limits even with pure BIAB and no limits that I've found with Batch or HERMS. BIAB by default has a thin mash, and efficiency goes down on a big grain bill. I brew a bunch of high alcohol, complex beers and buy grain in bulk so batch or HERMS are what I use most often.

Chose what's right for your values, space or budget and brew great beer!

Reason: Oops!

Old 01-06-2015, 11:06 PM   #204
Chadwick
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 184 Times on 128 Posts
Likes Given: 91

I do BIAB and I'm not even considering anything changing anytime soon. I also do a lot of barleywines and high gravity brews. My kettle is 10 gallons and I have no problem mashing 20lbs of grain with it. It is, about the limit of what I can do without moving up to a 12 or 15 gallon kettle, but it works for me. Granted, my batches are never larger than 6.25 gallons going into a fermenter, more often 5.5-6 gallons. But it works for me. One thing I do may be considered heresy. I drain my mash, as much as I can, into a container. Then I set that container aside. Then I add, usually about 2 gallons, 170F hot water back into the kettle with my spent grains and soak and stir them around pretty good. Then I lift the bag and let it drain. Once all of this is competed I put the kettle back on the stove, add the wort I pulled off the first time, and start heating up for the boil. I usually have around 7.5-8.5 gallon in the kettle at this point. I boil from there.

Many times I'll have long boils as a result of this, but I don't care. Never had a DMS issue doing it this way. lol. But I do manage to get OG's in the 1.100 territory if I want. Plus, I alway keep some DME around if it needs a push. I rarely need it.

Old 01-06-2015, 11:16 PM   #205
k1ngl1ves
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 6 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 271 Times on 178 Posts
Likes Given: 620

I have to buy a lot of large, shiny things that are destined to piss off my wife.

Brewing with a three vessel system fulfils that need... more than I ever imagined.
People Like This 
Old 01-06-2015, 11:17 PM   #206
trussell
Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 96

I have done both BIAB and a gravity 3 vessel system. I got good results from each but thought the wort was a but cloudy with BIAB.

Last time I sparged the bag over a separate vessel and squeezed. Next time I try a BIAB I think I'll try Chadwick's method. Basically it's a modified batch sparge.

Old 01-07-2015, 03:40 AM   #207
acidrain
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 154 Times on 134 Posts
Likes Given: 32

Holy necro-thread batman.
Whatever... I'll chime in too.
I didn't see in the poll "tried it, didn't like it".
My equipment progress was:

Extract, one kettle.
Partial mash, one kettle. Added an immersion chiller.
BIAB, one kettle, full volume.
BIAB, one kettle, full volume. Added a pulley system.
Added a second kettle and a drain valve to the MT. I started noticing temperature cold spots during the mash. Started trying to stir more while mashing.

Had trouble stirring the mash in a bag and added a sort of wire spreader to keep the bag from getting all twisted and to give room to stir.

Started noticing that the temperature during mash was not even or steady no matter how well I insulated.

One day I tore the bag, so I just drained out the bottom valve and discovered it worked without even using the bag or a proper false bottom.

I decided to try using a piece of screen as a false bottom, and it worked OK.

This was my turning point... the bag was a pain in the ass, and easier was my goal.

I soon built a traditional MT, and the following years I enjoyed very much building bigger and better traditional equipment. Still going too. I never looked back nor regretted moving from BIAB.
Keg #1: Brown Bomber Bourbon/Oak Vanilla Porter
Keg #2: Lawnmower APA just kicked :(
Keg #3 The Bollocks ESB
Bottled: Mjolnir Mead, Lazy Daze Hefe.

Old 04-21-2015, 01:34 AM   #208
chisena
Chisena Brews
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 17 Posts

So I have been brewing on my eHERMS (gas boil) for several years now. I love it and enjoy tinkering with it. I'm not particularly interested in high gravity beers and mostly brew session ales and lagers. My only complaint is the time involved with a brew day. From prepping to clean up, I'm spending 5-6 hours in the garage. Five years ago I wouldn't have thought that was an issue, but life changes. Is it crazy that I am considering dabbling with BIAB? I have a 240V BoilCoil and High Gravity EBC-SV controller. I was thinking about buying a 62 qt pot with a basket and building a single vessel electric BIAB rig. Is that crazy or what? This would solely be a time saver. Not sure whether I am having a stroke of genius or losing my mind. Thoughts!?!?

Current rig. . .

Name:  ImageUploadedByHome Brew1429580026.423626.jpg
Views: 161
Size:  676.7 KB

Old 04-21-2015, 02:03 AM   #209
wilserbrewer
BIAB Expert Tailor
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 10 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 753 Times on 603 Posts
Likes Given: 15

How big is your current kettle? How big is the kettle above w/ the herms coil in it? Might be possible to reconfigure what you have? I would suggest keeping your proposed BIAB rig simple, perhaps insulating rather than recircing w/ a pump and do simple infusions....no pump and lines to clean saves time, and with a little experience single infusion works fine IME.

Old 04-21-2015, 02:03 AM   #210
haeffnkr
Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by chisena View Post
So I have been brewing on my eHERMS (gas boil) for several years now. I love it and enjoy tinkering with it. I'm not particularly interested in high gravity beers and mostly brew session ales and lagers. My only complaint is the time involved with a brew day. From prepping to clean up, I'm spending 5-6 hours in the garage. Five years ago I wouldn't have thought that was an issue, but life changes. Is it crazy that I am considering dabbling with BIAB? I have a 240V BoilCoil and High Gravity EBC-SV controller. I was thinking about buying a 62 qt pot with a basket and building a single vessel electric BIAB rig. Is that crazy or what? This would solely be a time saver. Not sure whether I am having a stroke of genius or losing my mind. Thoughts!?!?

Current rig. . .

Attachment 272529
If I prep my grain the day before and have my water additions ready, I can come home to water already heated and mash in immediately, then go mow the lawn or play with the kids for 45 minutes, then pull the bag and get the boil started, then go off and do something else for another 30 or 40 minutes, then I need to finish up the boil chill and dump to a fermenter.
12 gallons to the fermenter, double batches.

Total time from mash in till clean up, 3 hour and 15 minutes and the grass is cut or the kids are fed, etc.

I like my setup, that is for sure !!

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthre...=448915&page=2

Kevin