National Homebrew Day Giveaway - Enter Now - Weekend Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Dry yeast for Scotch Ale

Old 04-05-2012, 11:34 PM   #1
Moody_Copperpot
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

Default Dry yeast for Scotch Ale

Hey guys,
I'm looking for a good dry yeast to use in a McEwan's AG clone I'm brewing for a friend's dad. I generally go US05 in the IPAs I brew...hell in almost anything I brew. I've never done a scotch ale though, so I don't know what to use. S04 British ale yeast? US05? Help me, help me!
There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese.

Old 04-06-2012, 12:02 AM   #2
afr0byte
Recipes 

Liked 74 Times on 62 Posts
Likes Given: 49

I'd use US05 or Nottingham. You want something without a lot of esters. Also, you'll want to ferment cool.

Old 04-06-2012, 12:22 AM   #3
Moody_Copperpot
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by afr0byte
I'd use US05 or Nottingham. You want something without a lot of esters. Also, you'll want to ferment cool.
Great, thank you for the tip! I don't know much about the style in general, admittedly. I appreciate the info.
There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese.

Old 04-06-2012, 12:26 AM   #4
afr0byte
Recipes 

Liked 74 Times on 62 Posts
Likes Given: 49

You're welcome. Also, keep in mind that you'll want more than one pack of yeast for a beer the size of McEwans (see www.yeastcalc.com).

Old 04-06-2012, 02:25 PM   #5
bethebrew
Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moody_Copperpot View Post
Great, thank you for the tip! I don't know much about the style in general, admittedly. I appreciate the info.
US-05 at 62. And lots of malt.

Old 04-06-2012, 02:48 PM   #6
KraphtBier
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

IF you can ferment cool (60-62) I'd maybe consider using S-04 as it leaves behind a maltier profile than US-05. Otherwise use 05 and adjust grain bill and especially your mash temps up to get more unfermentables for that malty finish.

Old 04-06-2012, 04:13 PM   #7
bethebrew
Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by KraphtBier View Post
IF you can ferment cool (60-62) I'd maybe consider using S-04 as it leaves behind a maltier profile than US-05. Otherwise use 05 and adjust grain bill and especially your mash temps up to get more unfermentables for that malty finish.
I actually did a side by side with the S-04 and the US-05 on a scotch ale recently fermented at 62. In double blind controlled taste tests the US-05 won by a margin of 3 to 1. Sorry.

Kidding both were good. S-04 yes a little more estery maybe what you want maybe not. It was a pretty big scotch ale I called it the Wee Wee Scotch ale it was so Wee.

You are right the US-05 will finish dryer. Probably mash at 156-8 would be interesting.