Coldbreak Brewing Giveaway - Winners Drawn!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Can someone help me interperet this water report?

Old 04-05-2012, 09:00 PM   #31
afr0byte
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 74 Times on 62 Posts
Likes Given: 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbrews View Post
You're pretty sure of this, huh?

I would disagree that this advice should be followed for all beers. It's true for a stout though, so I'll give you that.
Yes, I've heard it from multiple reputable sources (e.g. John Palmer...of How To Brew fame...or Dr. Charles Bamforth from the UC Davis brewing program). It's all that you really need for good yeast health. Yes you could add more, if you want a lot of sulfate for example. You don't need more than 40-50ppm though.

Old 04-05-2012, 09:06 PM   #32
afr0byte
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 74 Times on 62 Posts
Likes Given: 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbrews View Post
BTW -In addition to adding additional calcium without other unnecessary ingredients, and boosting alkalinity (if that is your goal), lime softening can also help to reduce hardness and adjust/maintain pH.

You seem to think that there is only one use for lime, across the board, for all homebrewers, in each and every circumstance.
I never said that there is only one use for lime. In fact I believe I also mentioned that you could use it for lime softening. All I was saying is that normally pickling lime is used to raise alkalinity (and thus mash pH). Besides, if he does use pickling lime to soften his water, and he does it properly, then he's going to lose any of the calcium that the lime added to the water. He'll need to add extra gypsum or calcium chloride to the water if he doesn't want to end up simply increasing his alkalinity (by adding too much lime).

EDIT: The last part assumes he wants to have at least 40-50 ppm calcium instead of 20ppm.