Help me find it.. stirbar - Home Brew Forums
Register Now For Free!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Drunken Ramblings and Mindless Mumbling > Help me find it.. stirbar

Old 04-05-2012, 01:41 PM   #1
FullDraw
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Nov 2008
DuBoistown, PA
Liked 23 Times on 13 Posts

Damn thing up and vanished like a fart in the wind.

Think about where I put it for me, would ya?

Thanks. It's in a safe space, so it wouldn't get lost. Guess I'll hide my own easter eggs this weekend. This is BS.

Old 04-05-2012, 01:44 PM   #2
GilaMinumBeer
Half-fast Prattlarian

Recipes 

Jan 2008
Liked 7677 Times on 6273 Posts

It's in the fermenter of the last beer you pitched a starter into.

Or, it got dumped out with teh rub.

Old 04-05-2012, 01:47 PM   #3
two_hearted

Recipes 

Apr 2010
Cincinnati, Ohio
Liked 192 Times on 155 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GilaMinumBeer View Post
It's in the fermenter of the last beer you pitched a starter into.

Or, it got dumped out with teh rub.
I'll bet dollar on this.

I always keep mine in my flask. Did you check inside your stirplate? (if its a DIY cigar box type). Stuck to the fridge? Check all of your metals if it attached itself.

Old 04-05-2012, 01:48 PM   #4
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc

Recipes 

Dec 2007
"Detroitish" Michigan
Liked 3198 Times on 1886 Posts

Actually a good place to store at least a spare one is on the refrigerator door. I use one as a fridge magnet.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 04-05-2012, 01:52 PM   #5
passedpawn
Waste Allocation Load Lifter - Earth Class
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Apr 2009
☼ Clearwater, FL ☼
Liked 7017 Times on 4154 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy View Post
Actually a good place to store at least a spare one is on the refrigerator door. I use one as a fridge magnet.
Magnets don't stick to SS appliances. Sort of a blessing really, keeps it from becoming cluttered with every picture that arrives in the mail.

I never remove the stirbar from my flask. It gets boiled in there, sanitized in there, and if I'm careful doesn't get poured out when I decant and pitch.

Old 04-05-2012, 02:06 PM   #6
FullDraw

Recipes 

Nov 2008
DuBoistown, PA
Liked 23 Times on 13 Posts

I actually had it sitting on my stirplate, but moved it so I wouldn't knock it off the brewbench. I see that idea has now backfired. Best bet now is down the drain, or trashed by mistake. I just ordered 2 more, so it should be revealing itself before lunch. Fingers crossed.

Old 04-05-2012, 04:00 PM   #7
Hang Glider
Beer Drinker
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Mar 2007
North Augusta, SC
Liked 204 Times on 152 Posts

THANK YOU for this thread. I have one stirbar that works (one is too long). I'll be ordering another.

Old 04-05-2012, 04:04 PM   #8
stratslinger
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Dec 2010
Terryville, CT
Liked 215 Times on 179 Posts

On my first use of my stir plate and bar (just a couple weeks ago), I nearly goofed up and pitched the bar with my yeast, but remembered to grab my magnet just in time.

Thinking I was in the clear, I proceeded to clean everything up later that evening. Gave my flask and stir bar a nice oxyclean soak. Then dumped it in my slop sink before I could stop and think. And sure enough, the stir bar went right down the drain.

Thankfully, it got stuck in the trap, which I was able to take apart easily enough so I could recover the bar. Gonna have to be a touch more careful about that going forward, methinks...

Old 04-05-2012, 04:53 PM   #9
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc

Recipes 

Dec 2007
"Detroitish" Michigan
Liked 3198 Times on 1886 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by passedpawn View Post

I never remove the stirbar from my flask. It gets boiled in there, sanitized in there, and if I'm careful doesn't get poured out when I decant and pitch.
Good Idea, now that I'm settled into my condo, I actually have a place where I can leave the stirplate up all the time. I'm going to start doing this. Just leave everything up, flask and all.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 04-06-2012, 02:06 AM   #10
Zuljin
TR Fitness King

Recipes 

Mar 2012
Defiance
Liked 5518 Times on 4669 Posts

It's in your beer. You're going to drink it. Once it's in you, it's going to start drawing all the iron out of your blood and make itself into a big iron ball that you can't crap out. Eventually, due to the magnet drawing all the iron out of your blood, you will become iron deficient and die.

Unless, you get a bigger magnet, pass it around your guts region till it attracts the smaller magnet and clinks to it. Then, cut yourself open at that point and remove the smaller magnet. It's the only way.

Come with me if you want to live.