HBT 2015 Big Giveaway - This is it - Final Weekend to Enter!

Huge Supporting Membership Discounts - 20% Off - Final Weekend!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Wine Making Forum > First Wine / Crazy Gravity Readings

Old 04-05-2012, 02:26 AM   #1
EliJaunic
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default First Wine / Crazy Gravity Readings

Hello All,
I have made a few batches of beer and am on my first wine. It is Vintners Reserve Kit Pinot Noir. I followed the directions as writting and took a gravity reading the night that I made it. The Hydrometer was sticking so far of the original mix that You couldn't get a reading, so I thought that maybe my hydrometer was just broken. It has been 7 days, I just Racked to secondary and the sg is .9996 already. . This is where it is supposed to be when I bottle it. Anyone have any advice, or have had this happen with sg readings or am I just being dramatic? I checked the hydrometer with tap water and it read 1.000, so I don't think it is broken any longer. Please Advise. Thanks!

Old 04-05-2012, 10:04 PM   #2
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 5534 Times on 3978 Posts
Likes Given: 1346

Quote:
Originally Posted by EliJaunic View Post
Hello All,
I have made a few batches of beer and am on my first wine. It is Vintners Reserve Kit Pinot Noir. I followed the directions as writting and took a gravity reading the night that I made it. The Hydrometer was sticking so far of the original mix that You couldn't get a reading, so I thought that maybe my hydrometer was just broken. It has been 7 days, I just Racked to secondary and the sg is .9996 already. . This is where it is supposed to be when I bottle it. Anyone have any advice, or have had this happen with sg readings or am I just being dramatic? I checked the hydrometer with tap water and it read 1.000, so I don't think it is broken any longer. Please Advise. Thanks!
I don't think it's time to bottle it yet. I think it gets degassed first, and then the finings are added, etc. That kit doesn't have you bottle at day 7. Look at the steps, and from step 3 on. That will tell you what to do next. If you just racked to secondary, it sits there for a while (at least 10 days). Then, it's degassed, you use the finings (the clearing stuff), and it sits a couple more weeks. Then you rack to the bottling bucket. That's usually at about 4 weeks in.

Follow me on facebook: https://www.facebook.com/lorena.t.evans
But I'm pretty boring so don't expect much!
https://www.facebook.com/lorena.t.evans

Old 04-05-2012, 10:12 PM   #3
ScottSingleton
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 11

One of the first wine kits I did years ago threw me for a total loop as well. I was just getting into it and had no real idea what the hydrometer measured anyway :P

I finally realized that after following the kit directions and adding the concentrate into the bucket I failed to mix it up. All that concentrated grape juice was at the top and gave me this wicked high hydro reading.

I wouldn't worry dude.. check it again in a few days and see if your fermentation is done and follow the directions.

I've had kits I've forgotten about and left in the secondary for 10+ months and they've turned out beautiful.

the one time I rushed the process and bottled eary it turned out like ****

You choose