One of the first wine kits I did years ago threw me for a total loop as well. I was just getting into it and had no real idea what the hydrometer measured anyway :P
I finally realized that after following the kit directions and adding the concentrate into the bucket I failed to mix it up. All that concentrated grape juice was at the top and gave me this wicked high hydro reading.
I wouldn't worry dude.. check it again in a few days and see if your fermentation is done and follow the directions.
I've had kits I've forgotten about and left in the secondary for 10+ months and they've turned out beautiful.
the one time I rushed the process and bottled eary it turned out like ****